Ti4200 TV Out ?

Old August 20th 04, 05:50 PM
wotsayyou

Default Ti4200 TV Out ?

Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as it
was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the socket on
the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV out,
but the socket is just *strange*.

It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10 pins... WTF
?!

I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or will connect
to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very well to connect my
laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the S Video socket). :O( .

Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as S Video
? Its weird whatever it is.

Old August 20th 04, 06:10 PM
Sleepy

"wotsayyou" wrote in message
Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as it
was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the socket

on
the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV out,
but the socket is just *strange*.

It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10 pins... WTF
?!

I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or will

connect
to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very well to connect my
laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the S Video socket). :O( .

Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as S

Video
? Its weird whatever it is.

The standard cable has 4 pins (chrominance, luminance, and ground for each)
plus a plastic block to help orient the plug right way up. I would try one
of those
cables you have and snap off the plastic block so it'll plug in and see if
it'll work.
It should do.

Old August 20th 04, 08:13 PM
wotsayyou

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
wotsayyou skrev:

Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as

it
was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the

socket on
the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV

out,
but the socket is just *strange*.

The S-video cable I bought (in a standard store in Norway) fits
anyway. I first tried with the enclosed adapter, but once I tried
without (don't remember why) and it still worked like it should.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Interesting. How many pins does your cable have ? Does it have a plastic
block about the size of two pins stuck together ?

Old August 20th 04, 08:14 PM
wotsayyou

"Sleepy" wrote in message

"wotsayyou" wrote in message
[...]

Might try that - I guess the ten pins could be to be more compatible with
different s video standards - not that I was aware of any but the one.

The laptop S video out has a load of sockets for pins (more than four), but
has a space for the plastic block to go.

Cheers

Old August 20th 04, 09:42 PM
cowboyz

wotsayyou wrote:
"Sleepy" wrote in message

"wotsayyou" wrote in message
[...]

Are you sure it is not a VIVO port? the other pins for video capture? I
have gone away from the VIVO cards so I can't check but when I had mine it
came with a VIVO cable which had 4 connectors off it. 1 RCA out, 1 Svideo
out, 1 RCA in and 1 SVideo in. That should make about 10 pins worth.

Old August 20th 04, 11:05 PM
wotsayyou

"cowboyz" wrote in message
wotsayyou wrote:
"Sleepy" wrote in message

"wotsayyou" wrote in message
[...]

The port is labelled on the card as simply TV out, and in the manual as TV
Out S video, so they seem to think its s video

Cheers

Old August 20th 04, 11:49 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

It could be a DIN adapter which needs an adaptor which'll give you both
S-Video and composite outputs from the single plug.

Old August 21st 04, 02:52 AM
Ed Light

could be a socket for a vivo cable, which splits into several cables.

Check on the manufacturer's web site if it has vivo.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 21st 04, 08:07 AM
Phil

Hi,

The OP was correct - the TV-out socket on his card is some kind of
special connector depend on the maker of the Ti4200 video card (it
does look like a standard S-Video connector - same size)

On my Asus V8420 Ti4200 the TV-Out socket does look like this:

[ ] ---- small rectangle plastic tab
o o o o -- 1st row of pins
o o o -- 2nd row of pins

There is a small Y cable that one end plug into this "special" socket
and the other 2 end (female) either connect to a regular RCA cable or
regular S-Video cable to TV. So I guess the card out put both RCA &
S-Video video signal at the same time. 5 pins for S-Video signal and
2 pins for RCA signal = total 7 pins.
Old August 21st 04, 12:57 PM
wotsayyou

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

The OP was correct - the TV-out socket on his card is some kind of
special connector depend on the maker of the Ti4200 video card (it
does look like a standard S-Video connector - same size)

On my Asus V8420 Ti4200 the TV-Out socket does look like this:

[ ] ---- small rectangle plastic tab
o o o o -- 1st row of pins
o o o -- 2nd row of pins

There is a small Y cable that one end plug into this "special" socket
and the other 2 end (female) either connect to a regular RCA cable or
regular S-Video cable to TV. So I guess the card out put both RCA &
S-Video video signal at the same time. 5 pins for S-Video signal and
2 pins for RCA signal = total 7 pins.

Ah, thought I was missing something. Any idea where I can pick one of these
up ?

Cheers