Looking to upgrade my Video card

Old August 16th 04, 12:52 AM
Brenden D. Chase

Default Looking to upgrade my Video card

I've always been the type to get the low end of the popular card. This time
around I'm looking to get a high end card. Don't laugh, but currently I
have an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. I've just recently upgraded the rest of my
computer, P4 3.2ghz 1GB of RAM.. blah blah blah... my question is, should I
wait around for X800xt's to finally come into stock? or should I plunk down
the cash for an x800pro?? on the other hand... can anyone point me in the
direction of a good head to head on x800xt and pros, and NVIDIA's cards
too... speaking of which was its NVIDIA's top of the line card??

Any help is appreciated

--brenden

Old August 16th 04, 02:43 AM
Mark

What's your plan with the new vid card ? Going to do some 3D gaming ? Or
just desktop work / internet ?

Old August 16th 04, 04:29 AM
Mac Cool

"Brenden D. Chase" said:

my question is, should I wait around for X800xt's to finally come
into stock? or should I plunk down the cash for an x800pro??

Are you playing any games that need that much horsepower at the moment or
can you wait?
--
Mac Cool
Old August 16th 04, 06:53 AM
JD

In my opinion it is pointless to wait for the best video card to come down
in price because by that time there will be another video card that sounds
cool that you might want to come down in price. Just upgrade if you feel
your current video card is sucking at what you want to do with it and pay
the most you can afford, if you can afford a $500 one then great but my
personal way of doing things is to kind of get the 2nd best one, the 2nd
best is usually about 5% slower but yet 50% cheaper than the fastest one.

Unless you don't or won't do any 3D gaming in the future, stay away from the
MX's or equivalent! Unless thats all you can afford, they are mostly a
sales gimmick with no performance....They are like getting an old rusty
truck with a lamborghini engine but yet the tranny is almost shot and is
irraplaceable, so you can't use the power anyway.

Old August 16th 04, 08:06 PM
YanquiDawg

Well,how big a percentage gap in performance with the two cards? If it's under
15% ,you can always overclock a bit but it won't be noticeable anyway.
Remember,there'll be new cards announced as soon as you get yours.Always
happens.

Old August 17th 04, 05:35 AM
Brenden D. Chase

"Mark" wrote in message
What's your plan with the new vid card ? Going to do some 3D gaming ? Or
just desktop work / internet ?

3d gaming

Old August 17th 04, 05:38 AM
Brenden D. Chase

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
"Brenden D. Chase" said:

my question is, should I wait around for X800xt's to finally come
into stock? or should I plunk down the cash for an x800pro??

Are you playing any games that need that much horsepower at the moment or
can you wait?
--
Mac Cool

Actually, I have decided to wait a bit, because I'm just looking forward to
playing halflife2 and halo 2... so I've got some time to wait...

I've research a bit today... and I'm really leaning toward a BFG Geforce GT
right now... looks like a great card.
any disagreements?

My real question is... why is it that all these cards are always sold out??
and or overpriced?? I mean, are there really that many people out there
buying these things??

--Brenden

Old August 17th 04, 06:37 AM
Mark

Go for the BFG Geforce GT. I just ended up with that card and it really was
a huge improvement over my ATi 9800 Pro. Really any 6800GT will be a great
purchase. They are in limited supply right now for sure and some online
sites have jacked up the retail price because of it. I found mine at Best
Buy local store and paid retail $399.00 US funds. Don't jump the gun and get
a GT that's been jacked up in price. They will get to the stores soon.

Old August 18th 04, 04:40 AM
Brenden D. Chase

"Mark" wrote in message
Go for the BFG Geforce GT. I just ended up with that card and it really

was
a huge improvement over my ATi 9800 Pro. Really any 6800GT will be a

great
purchase. They are in limited supply right now for sure and some online
sites have jacked up the retail price because of it. I found mine at Best
Buy local store and paid retail $399.00 US funds. Don't jump the gun and

get
a GT that's been jacked up in price. They will get to the stores soon.

Yeah... I was thinking about that too... since Best Buy carries them. A
friend of mine could get me a discount too.

I've been reading reviews... I'm definitely leaning toward that card.

--Brenden

Old August 18th 04, 06:06 AM
Mac Cool

"Brenden D. Chase" said:

"Mark" wrote in message

Go for the BFG Geforce GT. I just ended up with that card

I've been reading reviews... I'm definitely leaning toward that card.

I read something on [H] about the BFG having cooling issues. Read anything
about that?
--
Mac Cool