Would you buy one of the first 6800 cards?

Old June 26th 04, 03:20 AM
+c0re-

Default Would you buy one of the first 6800 cards?

As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

If not, why not? (I'm wondering if there are likely to be "teething"
problems)

thanks for any advice on this.

Old June 26th 04, 10:14 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 03:20:43 +0100, "+c0re-"
wrote:

As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

If not, why not? (I'm wondering if there are likely to be "teething"
problems)

thanks for any advice on this.

No.

* Not interested in bragging rights
* Immature drivers.
* Current performance/price ratio very poor
* Faster, cheaper, lower-power version in ~ 6
months time when shrunk to 110nm process
to radically improve silicon chip-yield. Probably
renumbered to "5900" series at that time
following the precedence of the FX 5800 to
FX 5900 transition.
* Silicon problems may still be found, as the
driver does not yet fully support the on-board
video processor and is certainly not fully
optimized for the updated graphics pipeline.
* Daddy has not given me enough allowance.

BTW, almost the same considerations apply
to the Ati X800 series.

I am quite happy to stay with my overclocked
$175 FX5900/128 ( genuine - nonXT) until the
6800 and X800 dust has fully settled.

As I said in another thread, save your shekels
until the downward price curve begins to flatten
out and give the money saved to a worthy
charitable cause --- counts towards a tax
break too.............

Take a break, enjoy life - its almost Summer
here in the Northern Hemisphere. A liitle fresh
air and healthy exercise away from the computer
can radically ease these narcissitic purchasing
urges.

John Lewis

Old June 26th 04, 12:24 PM
deimos

+c0re- wrote:

As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

If not, why not? (I'm wondering if there are likely to be "teething"
problems)

thanks for any advice on this.

Yes.

(Yes to what?)

Yes.

(...)

Old June 27th 04, 01:28 AM
+c0re-

Thanks for the responses

I'm not bothered about Bragging rights, Nor am I really bothered that there
will be something better out in 6 months time
since that always seems to be the case. I'm also not (too) bothered about
the fact that I'd be paying a premium to have one first.

The thing that was interesting (and does concern me) was this (I quote)

Silicon problems may still be found, as the
driver does not yet fully support the on-board
video processor and is certainly not fully
optimized for the updated graphics pipeline.

My problem is that I sent back my Radeon 9800 pro because it just didn't
work well enough for me, now I'm torn between getting a 5900XT and a 6800
GT. Preferably I don't want something slower than my the card I've just
returned which kinda leaves me in a difficult situation, since I can't play
any decent games on my system at the moment

Is there any other cards I should consider?

thanks again

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:13:35 -0400, Steven L Cox
wrote:

wrote:

As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

If not, why not? (I'm wondering if there are likely to be "teething"
problems)

thanks for any advice on this.

No.

* Not interested in bragging rights
* Immature drivers.
* Current performance/price ratio very poor
* Faster, cheaper, lower-power version in ~ 6
months time when shrunk to 110nm process
to radically improve silicon chip-yield. Probably
renumbered to "5900" series at that time

oops... meant to say "6900". Freudian slip.

following the precedence of the FX 5800 to
FX 5900 transition.
* Silicon problems may still be found, as the
driver does not yet fully support the on-board
video processor and is certainly not fully
optimized for the updated graphics pipeline.
* Daddy has not given me enough allowance.

What he said.

But for all you early adopters that subsidize the industry and make it
so I can get these awesome cards 6 months later under $200, I really
do appreciate your stubbornness and zeal ! Keep up the good work

Yeah... go for it... the more the merrier... those millions of $$
in development costs need to be paid off.

John Lewis

Old June 27th 04, 05:58 AM
jeff b

+c0re- wrote:
As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

Yes.

If not, why not?

Only reason not to is that argueably the x800xt is
superior and costs the same money. Which is better
is a toss up and depends on the individual's needs.
The x800xt has the 3dc technology which will probably be
a huge factor. But the 6800u does a better job of replaying
HDTV files. Therefore, I'm sitting on a fence, haven't made up
my mind, but I'll get one or the other, that's for sure.

As to the advice "do without/wait until the price drops"....
that is reasonable advice ONLY if you are buying the card as
an investment and don't plan to ever use it. If you would buy it to use,
then the "do without" advice makes no sense.

Jeff B

Old June 27th 04, 06:01 AM
jeff b

The thing that was interesting (and does concern me) was this (I quote)

Silicon problems may still be found, as the
driver does not yet fully support the on-board
video processor and is certainly not fully
optimized for the updated graphics pipeline.

I wouldn't be held hostage by the possibility that something
could go wrong. Once the cards start shipping, then my take is they
work until they don't work.

Jeff B

Old June 27th 04, 08:20 AM
John Lewis

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:58:46 GMT, jeff b wrote:

+c0re- wrote:
As in Pre-order one of the first to be available.

Yes.

If not, why not?

Only reason not to is that argueably the x800xt is
superior and costs the same money. Which is better
is a toss up and depends on the individual's needs.
The x800xt has the 3dc technology which will probably be
a huge factor. But the 6800u does a better job of replaying
HDTV files. Therefore, I'm sitting on a fence, haven't made up
my mind, but I'll get one or the other, that's for sure.

As to the advice "do without/wait until the price drops"....
that is reasonable advice ONLY if you are buying the card as
an investment

Huh ?? Explain.................

and don't plan to ever use it. If you would buy it to use,
then the "do without" advice makes no sense.

Funy thing, I waited until the price of my FX5900 (non-XT) was
right ( $175) and am enjoying it greatly. Far Cry, Thief 3, Broken
Sword, CoD, Morrowind etc... Runs my large collection of legacy
DirectX games without a hitch too.... great value. Use it all the
time. Overclocks nicely to 475/880 too. Previous card was
a GF4 4400, which again was bought when the price curve
had reasonably flattened. And a GF3 Ti200 before that......

I can afford to wait for the die shrinks on the new -gen parts ---
which has to come because of yield considerations and
competitive-price pressure between the 2 players. Gives
time for the drivers to mature too. Your purchase will help
pay off the development costs, for which action I shall be
in your debt.

What price bragging-rights ? Just don't wail, gnash teeth
and finger-point at everything/everybody other than yourself
if the gloss on your new purchase wears off rather quickly.
Such is the burden of the early adopters of any new
technology.

John Lewis

Jeff B

Old June 27th 04, 06:02 PM
jeff b

As to the advice "do without/wait until the price drops"....
that is reasonable advice ONLY if you are buying the card as
an investment

Huh ?? Explain.................

If you are buying it as an investment, then you won't be using it.
So being denied the use of the card isn't a factor.

Funy thing, I waited until the price of my FX5900 (non-XT) was
right ( $175) and am enjoying it greatly.

Right, you are enjoying it NOW, but you weren't enjoying
BEFORE you bought it, in your "do without" period.

I can afford to wait for the die shrinks on the new -gen parts ---
which has to come because of yield considerations and
competitive-price pressure between the 2 players.

Yes, this is one way to go. The buy/don't buy decision
comes down to not only what you are buying, but what you currently
have. I have a much weaker card than you, so I have more reason
to upgrade.

Gives
time for the drivers to mature too. Your purchase will help
pay off the development costs, for which action I shall be
in your debt.

Right, so mail me a check.

Jeff B