Organic Art, Win XP & nVidia Drivers

Old May 9th 04, 02:04 AM
James

Default Organic Art, Win XP & nVidia Drivers

Hi,

I'm using a DirectX screensaver/application called Organic Art Deluxe
which basically moves 3D meshes around on the screen. With Win 98, the
graphics flowed smoothly. However, with Win XP the motion is jerky,
although the framerates are about the same (20-80 fps, depending on the
complexity of the current object).

These artifacts are least apparent with the default Win XP driver (v
29.58), but this doesn't allow use of features such as FSAA, etc. and
other DX or OpenGL apps work poorly or not at all with the default
drivers. I've been able to get usable results by using the released
Detonator drivers closest to the Win XP version (29.80), but they aren't
great. All of the later nVidia drivers that I've tried were awful, very
jerky. The latest ones I looked at were about 2 months ago, I don't
remember the version.

I've tried enabling/disabling all of the options in the nVidia control
panel, without appreciable effect. I also have several
computers/motherboards/processors/video card combinations, which all
show this behavior, so it is probably not a hardware-specific issue.

Can anyone help? I've tried everything I can think of. I'm planning to
get a new motherboard & video card but I would like to try to resolve
this problem first.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hardwa
Epox 8K7A/Athlon XP 1700+/ASUS V7700 Geforce2
ASUS A7A266/Athlon T-Bird-1.33 GHz/Diamond Viper V770
Tyan S1854/PIII 600 MHz/Diamond Viper V550

Old May 9th 04, 04:03 AM
MrRobichaud

It just might be that win xp requires so much extra ram over win 98.
If you didn't add any more ram after changing OS maybe that's the
problem. I know fromm my own experience that without enough ram pretty much
everything is jerky with win xp. Once you get the ram though, works great.
If you already have enough ram, please ignore this and good luck.

Old May 9th 04, 04:22 AM
James

I have 512 MB RAM, guess I should have included that info. There
generally seems to be plenty of free memory (200 MB right now with 8 or
so programs running). But just being available may not mean it is being
used appropriately. Thanks for your response though.

Old May 9th 04, 04:32 AM
Mr. Brian Allen

I have 512 MB RAM, guess I should have included that info. There
generally seems to be plenty of free memory (200 MB right now with 8 or
so programs running). But just being available may not mean it is being
used appropriately. Thanks for your response though.

XP is fairly wasteful with RAM, so you might want to consider jumping up to
a gig.

Old May 9th 04, 03:57 PM
neopolaris

It's not the ram or the amount of ram its the lack of ram on your old video
card. Isn't the 770 something like an old S3 Virge video chipset??

Old May 9th 04, 05:25 PM
neopolaris

I see you do have a GF2 afterall. I installed OA about a year ago and it
ran way way too fast.

Old May 11th 04, 07:48 AM
James

My impression is that the problem is in the CPU/OS end, rather than the
video hardware part, but I'm out of my depth there. The program
performed reasonably well even with the older hardware under Win 98SE.

With Win XP, the objects don't move slowly, they have little
"micro-seizures" and jerk rather than moving fluidly. I would be
interested in any observations you have, not many people seem to run
this program although I'm fond of it. Most of the default scenes it came
with aren't that great, but with custom meshes & textures, it is
entertaining.