Ghost question.

Old February 26th 05, 10:15 AM
dave

Default Ghost question.

Hello.

I got some probs with my old hd Seagate Sata 120 gig. I have a new hd WD 160
gig. Using ghost 9.0 i used the tool "upgrade your hard drive" copy the
contents from the 120 to 160 gig drive all wel for now. Now the problem i
got is i can us only 120 gig on a 160 gig drive. I lost 40 gig. How can i
get it back.

Sorry for my bad english.

Cya D@ve....

Old February 26th 05, 12:47 PM
Christo

"dave" NO@SPAM.**** wrote in message news:A_XTd.3357$Mw3.499@amstwist00...
Hello.

I got some probs with my old hd Seagate Sata 120 gig. I have a new hd WD
160 gig. Using ghost 9.0 i used the tool "upgrade your hard drive" copy
the contents from the 120 to 160 gig drive all wel for now. Now the
problem i got is i can us only 120 gig on a 160 gig drive. I lost 40 gig.
How can i get it back.

Sorry for my bad english.

Cya D@ve....

go into control panel in windows

then go to Administrative Tools (click classic view to the left) if you cant
see Administrative Tools

then click Computer Management

then in the Computer Management in the left side of the pane click

Disk Management

The 160 GB drive should appear in disk management as 160 Gb or close to it

you should have one partition which is probably a partition of 120 GB

the other space or the 40GB you cant see will be unassigned.

This is where i get a bit sketchy

right click the 40 GB un assigned space or Free Space

and choose

New Logical drive

now you may want to choose Extended Partition if you can

if not just choose Logical Drive

it should allow you to use the space again

one problem however is that i dont think it will be set as an NTFS
partition, it might be FAT32

im no wizz on the subject but you could probably get the space back, if it
is free space within an extended partition then it is already sey as NTFS

if the space is just loose and in its own partition you may need to assign a
filesystem im not sure

the thing is you should easilly be able to get back the 40 GB of "lost
space"

download partition magic if you would rather do it simple

I think you can create new partitions with the windows ZP Setup, i do
however think that requires you to format the drive before hand? someone
else here should be able to give more help on the filesystems and stuff, i
have always hated partitioning hard drives

i use the windows setup to do it, never use ghost or anything, i had tried
it but it kind of went a bit wrong for me

the program encountered errors and messed up my other norton products

anyhow HTH

chris

Old February 26th 05, 01:18 PM
dave

Hello.

Many thanks Christo it worked fine

Cya .... D@ve

"Christo" schreef in bericht

Old February 26th 05, 03:12 PM
Jan Alter

Did the unassigned space get restored to the original partition or did you
end up with a new drive letter?

--
Jan Alter

or

Old February 26th 05, 03:24 PM
dave

Hello.

I get a new drive letter. I got 2 partitions now.

D@ve..

Old February 26th 05, 10:49 PM

In A_XTd.3357$Mw3.499@amstwist00, on 02/26/05
at 11:15 AM, "dave" NO@SPAM.**** said:

I got some probs with my old hd Seagate Sata 120 gig. I have a new hd WD
160 gig. Using ghost 9.0 i used the tool "upgrade your hard drive" copy
the contents from the 120 to 160 gig drive all wel for now. Now the
problem i got is i can us only 120 gig on a 160 gig drive. I lost 40
gig. How can i get it back.

Perhaps DFSEE would help? www.dfsee.com.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14