Can't install standard VGA driver...

Old June 10th 04, 12:30 AM
Christian Atteneder

Default Can't install standard VGA driver...

Hi NG!

I bought a X800 earlier that day. And for the first time ever I used the CAT
uninstaller. After rebooting I tried to install standard VGA drivers as
usual, but my WinXP says that it doesn't find a suitable driver - so I end
up with the "vga save" drivers. When trying to install the ATI drivers the
installer tells me that no driver is found and that I should install
standard VGA drivers.
So I am at a dead end now. How can I fix that problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Old June 10th 04, 01:37 AM
patrickp

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:30:01 +0200, "Christian Atteneder"
wrote:

Hi NG!

I bought a X800 earlier that day. And for the first time ever I used the CAT
uninstaller. After rebooting I tried to install standard VGA drivers as
usual, but my WinXP says that it doesn't find a suitable driver - so I end
up with the "vga save" drivers. When trying to install the ATI drivers the
installer tells me that no driver is found and that I should install
standard VGA drivers.
So I am at a dead end now. How can I fix that problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

You shouldn't let XP look for the drivers, Chris. Cancel out of the
new hardware wizard and Windows should install the the appropriate
Standard VGA drivers by default.

Did you use the cat-uninstaller before you uninstalled the Ati
software/drivers? Best to uninstall everything first, reboot and
_then_ use the uninstaller to clean out your system. The Catalyst
display driver uninstall always seems to make sure the right VGA
drivers are in place after you use it - the uninstaller is basically a
cleaner and won't do that..

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 10th 04, 09:32 AM
Sham B

I know that problem well!
Theres a few things that make you go into VGA save:

Bios AGP drivers got corrupted (reinstall)
Card has been disabled due to a previous problem (you need to re-enable it and better drivers may
be picked up)

Search on vgaSave on the search pages, you will see that a lot of people have been there! Whatever
you do, *dont* try to uninstall the vgasafe drivers. Its windows last ditch 'when all else fails'
way of making sure you still have a working video card, so you should not try to remove them, only
try to get windows to replace them (which can be difficult, as you are prolly finding!).

Usually, when I get into this problem, I just give up and do an XP repair reinstall. You get the MS
radeon drivers installed at the end of the install, and the catalysts always install succesfully
over the top of it because its a minimum driver.
You can occasionally also get round it by forcing windows to load up with VGA drivers (keep pressing
f8 when windows starts loading). sometimes it comes up with 'proper' vga drivers, but half the time
I find its the same old vgasafes, and thats about when I reach for the XP installation disk

Old June 10th 04, 01:11 PM
Christian Atteneder

Usually, when I get into this problem, I just give up and do an XP repair

reinstall. You get the MS
radeon drivers installed at the end of the install, and the catalysts

always install succesfully
over the top of it because its a minimum driver.
You can occasionally also get round it by forcing windows to load up with

VGA drivers (keep pressing
f8 when windows starts loading). sometimes it comes up with 'proper' vga

drivers, but half the time
I find its the same old vgasafes, and thats about when I reach for the XP

installation disk

Damn, just what I feared - no real and easy solution. I "fixed" my problem
by using the install CD that came with my video card. These drivers didn't
bitch around for any standard vga drivers but installed over the vgaSave
driver. Not really sure about the version on CD. It says 6.14.10.6436 - does
that mean it is version 4.3?
At the moment it seems to work, but I fear I will have the same problems
when updating these drivers.

Damn ATI drivers! I hoped to benchmark and play right now, but all I'm doing
is fidling around with this damned drivers. ****!

Thanks for your help anyway!
Chris

Old June 10th 04, 04:59 PM
hawk

I have had nothing but trouble with Radeon 9000 video card driver
installation. One step in the uninstall/install cycle that I have used
with success is to use Device Manager to "remove" the video card, then
shut the computer down. Then on startup, don't let Windows install any
video drivers. When the new hardware thing comes up and Windows asks
for drivers, just cancel or skip the file it asks for. Sometimes I
have to go through 10-15 files, cancelling each one before windows
finally gives up and installs the standard VGA drivers. If the
standard VGA drivers are corrupt or missing, you may have to reinstall
Windows.

Regards, hawk

Christian Atteneder wrote:

Hi NG!

I bought a X800 earlier that day. And for the first time ever I used the CAT
uninstaller. After rebooting I tried to install standard VGA drivers as
usual, but my WinXP says that it doesn't find a suitable driver - so I end
up with the "vga save" drivers. When trying to install the ATI drivers the
installer tells me that no driver is found and that I should install
standard VGA drivers.
So I am at a dead end now. How can I fix that problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

A7N8X-E Which nForce driver??? Joe101 Asus Motherboards 3 October 28th 04 06:37 AM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 08:28 PM
Can't Install Radeon 9600SE Because No Standard VGA Driver in XP Steven Myers Ati Videocards 7 October 31st 03 07:27 PM
Unable to install ATI Radeon 9800 Linux driver v3.2.5 [email protected] Ati Videocards 5 September 22nd 03 10:38 PM
Crappy Performance Results and Can't update drivers Andre Southgate Ati Videocards 4 August 18th 03 12:20 PM