Display Adapters, Monitor, BIOS and Device manager (WAS: Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)

Old January 9th 04, 12:13 AM
JP

Default Display Adapters, Monitor, BIOS and Device manager (WAS: Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)

"The Black Wibble" wrote:

But now another problem has appeared. Windows isnt recognizing my
graphics card and my monitor. The Device Manager doesnt have any
entry for Display Adapter and for Monitor. So can someone give me
some hints how to get both in the DM for installing the drivers...?

Did you first install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Tony.

Already did that. And in the Control Panel in Add or remove programs the
NForce controllers show themselves. But if I go to Device Manager there
isn't any entry to Display Adapters and for Monitor. Not sure if it's
anything in the BIOS. It's pretty much everything at default per the
manual. Changed the Date, Boot Devices, the CPU External Frequency to
166MHz, the Graphics Aperture Size is at the default 64M, and the AGP
Frequency is set for AUTO. AGP 8X Support and AGP Fast Write capability
are both enabled. Primary VGA BIOS is changed from PCI VGA Card to AGP
VGA CARD.

Another thing about the BIOS. On boot the option to enter the BIOS only
presents itself if I press TAB, right after the beep when the image of
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe appears, if I don't press it the SATARaid message shows
on and tells me to press F4 to configure the RAID. I only have one hard
drive, so I let that pass. (This message of the RAID controller stays on
for a few seconds, it's a bit irritating). Then after that it shows the
information about the HD, and it changes the screen to show info about
the IDE channels, then the PCI device listing and Verifying DMI pool
data and it loads Windows XP Professional. This is pretty much the boot
sequence. I don't see any message about the AGP card. Shouldn't that be
the first thing that appears on boot along with information about the
BIOS?

Old January 9th 04, 09:26 AM
The Black Wibble

"JP" wrote in message ...
"The Black Wibble" wrote:

[...]

But the fact that you can see anything at all means that the gfx card is detected (though as a generic vga
device). Do you mean there is no category for Display Adapter and Monitor, or, there is, but no device listed
under either? Is there an Other Devices or Unknown Devices category because one of them will have the
Standard VGA adapter listed within and you can then update the VGA drivers manually.

Another thing about the BIOS. On boot the option to enter the BIOS only
presents itself if I press TAB, right after the beep when the image of
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe appears, if I don't press it the SATARaid message shows
on and tells me to press F4 to configure the RAID. I only have one hard
drive, so I let that pass. (This message of the RAID controller stays on
for a few seconds, it's a bit irritating). Then after that it shows the
information about the HD, and it changes the screen to show info about
the IDE channels, then the PCI device listing and Verifying DMI pool
data and it loads Windows XP Professional. This is pretty much the boot
sequence. I don't see any message about the AGP card. Shouldn't that be
the first thing that appears on boot along with information about the
BIOS?

No. The AGP card appears as a generic PCI VGA device attached to the PCI bus in the startup messages. The
card will be recognised as an AGP device when the gfx card drivers are installed within Windows. At least
that is what is supposed to happen. I'm sure somebody will bite my head off if I'm wrong.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 9th 04, 03:36 PM
JP

"The Black Wibble" wrote in
news

But the fact that you can see anything at all means that the gfx card
is detected (though as a generic vga device). Do you mean there is no
category for Display Adapter and Monitor, or, there is, but no device
listed under either? Is there an Other Devices or Unknown Devices
category because one of them will have the Standard VGA adapter listed
within and you can then update the VGA drivers manually.

Doh! You were absolutely right, it was under Other Devices with a
question mark. I updated the drivers under that and now there is category
for Display Adapter and for Monitor.

[...] I don't see any
message about the AGP card. Shouldn't that be the first thing that
appears on boot along with information about the BIOS?

No. The AGP card appears as a generic PCI VGA device attached to the
PCI bus in the startup messages. The card will be recognised as an
AGP device when the gfx card drivers are installed within Windows. At
least that is what is supposed to happen. I'm sure somebody will bite
my head off if I'm wrong.

It still doesn't show anything about it in the boot sequence, but that's
not really important. I have the option to change to various resolutions in
the windows desktop so it's working fine. Going to test some games with it.
Anyway, thanks to you, Wazza and KB for helping me out. My new system is
finally runing smooth now!