New video card now agp_warn.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default New video card now agp_warn.

Mobo = P4G8X Deluxe.

Original video card = Radeon 9500 pro .

New video card= x1600 Pro

Last week I finally upgrade my video card to help me hold over the
next year after which I planned to goto PCI-E.

Everything worked fine for about a week, then one night after a lenghy
Call of Duty 2 session, I turned off my monitor, slowed down my PSU
fans (New psu also 520 Watt from aspire with fan control knob on back
of PSU) and went to sleep. I awoke the next morning, and was not able
to get anything to display. Rebooted the machine, and nothing. No
post sounds, no VOICE Post sounds nothing.

Did some playing around, tried the old card, the old power supply
pulled the CPU checked for cracking. Everything was fine. Then I
noticed the AGP_Warn light was on. Did some reading in the manual,
noticed the P4G8X deluxe's agp slot was pro, and @ 8X agp pushed
1.5v. read on the x1600 cards box, and relieazed that @ 8X it needed
only .8v

Is it safe to assume that my mobo is pretty much shot? Nothing I do
seems to release the agp_warn light from coming on. CMOS cleared,
jumpered, complete removal of energy and components and still the
same thing.

Im going to buy a can of compressed air tonight, and blowout the agp
slot its possible that some dust or other air borne particle entered
the slot and is stopping me from powering on with the original card.

I purchased a new case at the same time, with a front panel motor,
that has an inline connetion with the 20-pin power supply connection
from the PSU. I did hook up the power button / reset button / LED
connectors, as well as the speaker but not the front usb or audio
jacks.

Im currently looking at gettting a new mobo / cpu and just scrapping
the old one (if the canned air doesnt work) but if any of you have
any suggestions ill gladly give them a whirl.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , lid
(nytestalker79) wrote:

[...]

First of all, compressed air is a bad idea. It is not the air
itself, but apparently the dirt that gets accelerated by the
air, that can generate static electricity and kill components.
People have posted about cleaning their systems, only to find
the system dead, so it just isn't worth playing with compressed
air.

If you have a flaky slot, I would try unplugging and replugging the
card or device, with the power off. The wiping action may be enough
to expose some fresh contact area on the connector pins. Only if
there is no other resort, should you start attacking electronic
components with chemicals or pencil erasers. The thin gold plating
is on there for a reason, and works best if not disturbed.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. The AGP_WARN circuit checks the
logic level on the TYPEDET# pin. TYPEDET# is a pin sent from the
video card to the motherboard. It has exactly two values, 0 or 1.

A value of 1 indicates the video card prefers 3.3V. A value of
0 indicates the video card prefers 1.5V for the AGP I/O supply.
When a video card is "0.8V", that is the amplitude of the I/O
signals themselves - the I/O power supply in that case is
still 1.5V.

AFAIK, the logic in the AGP slot says:

IF (AGP_card_present AND TYPEDET# != 0) then Red_LED, stay_off

What should happen, is if you pull the video card (with the power
off), whatever is used to detect card_present should then be
deasserted. That means, with the AGP slot empty, the Red_LED
should turn off, and the motherboard should be able to start up.
You should get the BIOS beep pattern for "no video" as a response
to the missing video card.

I don't really know what has happened to your hardware. There have
been occasional cases, where it looks like AGP_WARN has failed,
and stays permanently turned on. I believe the circuit uses a
couple of transistors for the logic (I only traced a part of it,
as it is a PITA to trace it down).

In the past, one of the reasons for the LED to come on, was the
video card is supposed to connect TYPEDET# right to GND, and some
manufacturers have placed a resistor between TYPEDET# and
GND on the video card. Strictly speaking, the use of a resistor
is not standards compliant. The operation of the motherboard
circuit may be relying on TYPEDET# either being an open circuit
or being connected directly to GND. In at least one case, an
older Matrox card caused a motherboard to generate a voltage
midway between 1.5V and 3.3V, which is not a healthy thing to have
happen.

For motherboards that are only equipped with a 1.5V source to
power the AGP slot, what happens to TYPEDET# should not affect
their ability to deliver a correct voltage. But if TYPEDET# is
misinterpreted for some reason, then the AGP_WARN will keep the
motherboard turned off, no matter how many times you press the
Power button on the front of the computer.

I have recommended people check the TYPEDET# pin on their video
card, to see if it is connected straight to GND, but the vast
majority of people have no interest in doing something like that.

About the only other failure mechanism I can see, is if some
foreign material got on the TYPEDET connector pin in the AGP slot.
You should be able to visually check, to see if the pin has somehow
become insulated. You can also inspect the video card, to see
whether it has a TYPEDET# contact on the edge card.

But if it looks like the AGP_WARN is stuck on, even when no video
card is present, it might mean a warranty repair to get it fixed.

Something else you might check, is that the video card is fitting
the slot properly. You should be using the standoffs that came
with the computer case, as they are just the right height, to make
the AGP card fit the AGP slot, without being tipped. If the
standoffs were too high or too low, the video card would be on
an angle in the slot. When I install a motherboard, I actually
test insert an AGP and a PCI card, before tightening up the
screws, to make sure the card insertion is smooth, and there
is no binding or crooked card insertion. That prevents problems
later, caused by bad alignment. But I don't see how that can
happen out of the blue, after the system has been running for
a week.

The TYPEDET# signal is purely passive, and is not driven by
logic on the video card. Even if the GPU were to fail on the
video card, the TYPEDET# signal should not be impacted, and
AGP_WARN should stay turned off. So I don't see any mechanism
for a video card failure, to affect AGP_WARN. TYPEDET should
just be a simple connection to GND. (If the video card used
a resistor to GND, and the resistor broke off, that is a way
to break it. But pretty unlikely.)

Paul