Wattage use for a "BFG GeForce 6800 GT"

Old August 21st 04, 03:48 PM
James Kennedy

Default Wattage use for a "BFG GeForce 6800 GT"

I'm considering upgrading my current graphics card and have looked into both ATI
and GeForce.

Using an older system (P4 2.0Ghz with 1GB DDR RAM) I've decided to go with
either the ATI Radeon X800 Pro or BFG GeForce 6800 GT (instead of the absolute
top of the line) since my system would not probably be able to make the most of
them.

Questions; what is the watt requirement for the GeForce one? I know the ATI is
300 watts. Also, BFG is a great brand, right? I've heard they slightly
overclock the card however optimally prepackaged.

Thanks for any help!

Old August 21st 04, 04:12 PM
Folk

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:48:45 GMT, "James Kennedy"
wrote:

I'm considering upgrading my current graphics card and have looked into both ATI
and GeForce.

Using an older system (P4 2.0Ghz with 1GB DDR RAM) I've decided to go with
either the ATI Radeon X800 Pro or BFG GeForce 6800 GT (instead of the absolute
top of the line) since my system would not probably be able to make the most of
them.

Questions; what is the watt requirement for the GeForce one? I know the ATI is
300 watts. Also, BFG is a great brand, right? I've heard they slightly
overclock the card however optimally prepackaged.

Thanks for any help!

Nvidia recommends a 350 watt power supply.

Old August 21st 04, 06:30 PM
deimos

wrote:

I'm considering upgrading my current graphics card and have looked into both ATI
and GeForce.

Using an older system (P4 2.0Ghz with 1GB DDR RAM) I've decided to go with
either the ATI Radeon X800 Pro or BFG GeForce 6800 GT (instead of the absolute
top of the line) since my system would not probably be able to make the most of
them.

Questions; what is the watt requirement for the GeForce one? I know the ATI is
300 watts. Also, BFG is a great brand, right? I've heard they slightly
overclock the card however optimally prepackaged.

Thanks for any help!

Nvidia recommends a 350 watt power supply.

And for reference, the reason it needs the higher wattage is usually due
to the PSU normal output and not it's peak. Even a GOOD 300w PSU can
satisfy the clean 5/12v in requirement (it has to be a clean rail), but
most PSU's suck and hardly ever reach their max output, let alone
sustain it.
Old August 21st 04, 08:06 PM
Ed Light

"deimos" wrote
Even a GOOD 300w PSU can
satisfy the clean 5/12v in requirement (it has to be a clean rail)

You mean by clean, stable?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 21st 04, 09:45 PM
Linux Jay

On 2004-08-21, Ed Light wrote:

"deimos" wrote
Even a GOOD 300w PSU can
satisfy the clean 5/12v in requirement (it has to be a clean rail)

You mean by clean, stable?

I'd assume it doesn't fluctuate too much away from what it's really meant
to be, and free of spikes and such.

--
Linux Jay, wondering how important active PFC is...
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Old August 21st 04, 10:45 PM
Ed Light

"Linux Jay" wrote
You mean by clean, stable?

I'd assume it doesn't fluctuate too much away from what it's really meant
to be, and free of spikes and such.

Would those spikes be visible in motherboard monitor, or just with some kind
of meter?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/