strange hard drive?

Old December 19th 04, 11:33 PM
Knoppix User

Default strange hard drive?

As I have mention in my previous post that my Gigabyte motherboard is
networking due to bios update failure. I decided to install Fujitsu 1.7GB
hard disk into Acer Aspire 1024 model.

Model specifications are
http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/a...6la_specs.html

In short, it's AMD K5 166mhz and came with 2.1GB hard disk drive, on board
sound card, video card etc... I'm using Pentium 166mhz cpu for testing..

I got this computer without hard drive and floppy disk (for $10. It's
seems to boot with my 10GB hard disk but see it as 8GB. How ever my 1.7gb
doesn't work on it. Compter bios see the hard drive and information after
booting also see it but won't boot. Right now, I am running Live Knoppix on
it and it's working fine.

I was wondering could it be that older hard drive won't work on it (less
then 2GB)? Another problem is that it doesn't boot through cd if I install
2nd cdrom.

However, when I tested my 10GB hard disk of another computer, everything was
working even floopy disk from my older computer...

My question is, Should I buy 2 gig of hard disk or little bigger (around 5
or 8 GB)?

I am using this comptuer for networking.

Old December 20th 04, 02:39 PM
Noozer

I got this computer without hard drive and floppy disk (for $10.

You got ripped off

It's
seems to boot with my 10GB hard disk but see it as 8GB.

BIOS is probably too old to see anything larger. You might be able to put a
drive overlay program on it to get the full capcity.

How ever my 1.7gb
doesn't work on it. Compter bios see the hard drive and information after
booting also see it but won't boot. Right now, I am running Live Knoppix

on
it and it's working fine.

Make up your mind... The 1.7gig doesn't work, but it's running Knoppix and
working fine?

I was wondering could it be that older hard drive won't work on it (less
then 2GB)? Another problem is that it doesn't boot through cd if I install
2nd cdrom.

However, when I tested my 10GB hard disk of another computer, everything

was
working even floopy disk from my older computer...

My question is, Should I buy 2 gig of hard disk or little bigger (around 5
or 8 GB)?

Don't spend any money on this computer. You can find a whole complete
machine for what you'd pay for a hard drive.

Old December 20th 04, 07:34 PM
Knoppix User

"Noozer" wrote in message

Make up your mind... The 1.7gig doesn't work, but it's running Knoppix and
working fine?

Hello

Knoppix is a linux distro comes in a CD-ROM Flavor, so what I was saying is
that, my hard drive doesn't boot, but it is working fine with live OS. You
can read more about it at www.knoppix.com , also they are free.

And by working fine, I mean, once it has loaded knoppix, i'm able to surf
the internet One doesn't need to install knoppix into a hard drive,
everything is in a cd, office suite, games, browser, networking software,
and games.

Sorry about misunderstanding

Old December 20th 04, 07:57 PM
Noozer

"Knoppix User" wrote in message
"Noozer" wrote in message

Make up your mind... The 1.7gig doesn't work, but it's running Knoppix

and
working fine?

Knoppix is a linux distro comes in a CD-ROM Flavor, so what I was saying

is
that, my hard drive doesn't boot, but it is working fine with live OS. You
can read more about it at www.knoppix.com , also they are free.

And by working fine, I mean, once it has loaded knoppix, i'm able to surf
the internet One doesn't need to install knoppix into a hard drive,
everything is in a cd, office suite, games, browser, networking software,
and games.

Ah... so boot from the CD and the computer seems fine, but it isn't using
the hard drive.

It sounds like the drive is bad... The machine is old enough that a drive
that small shouldn't be an issue. BIOS should be able to see the drive and
you should be able to format it. You might be able to find a HDD utility on
the manufacturers website to test and zero the hard drive.