RAID still malfunctioning

Old November 9th 04, 07:37 PM
Cyde Weys

Default RAID still malfunctioning

Well, apparently, I didn't fix everything. My RAID is still
malfunctioning, and at the moment it's not being recognized as
anything other than an unformatted drive. When I originally set up
the RAID I used Windows' default drivers (in retrospect, not such a
good idea, because now I can't upgrade the drivers to the ones that
came with my RAID card without losing all my data). I had this
problem before where everytime I rebooted the computer it would
automatically choose new drivers for the RAID array (Silicon Image Sil
3112 SATALink Controller 1.2.0.57) and install them automatically. I
think it has the drivers somewhere because at some point I put in the
drivers CD and it grabbed them. So, I would revert to the previous
driver, reinstall a few times until I saw the F4 RAID menu upon system
boot, and it would work again.

Well, that's not working anymore. No matter what I do, I can't seem
to be able to get the RAID recognized. I think the RAID card's
manufacturer's drivers are too deeply embedded in my system, if that
makes any sense. Also, occasionally when booting I get this "NO
SYSTEM DISK" error, which is very strange, because I have four hard
drives, two of which are SATA RAID and two of which are IDE, and one
of those IDE is my master boot drive ... so why in the world would it
be having any problems? Aghh, it's very perplexing.

I'm just wondering what to do now. I suppose I might just do an
in-place reinstallation of Windows, keep the manufacturer's drivers CD
FAR away from my computer, and let it install the RAID drivers from
the Windows default like it did the first time to get my RAID set up.

Eventually I'd really like to be able to get the manufacturer's
drivers working though, because they seem to be a lot better than the
Windows ones ... the only problem is, to do that I'd have to erase all
of my data. *Sigh*. Is there any way around having to backup 450GB
of data somehow? When I originally got into this RAID stuff I didn't
think it was going to be so complicated. Maybe I'll just go for two
individual drives :-/

How to setup (copy) the Data to Raid 1 Harddisk hon123456 General 1 October 29th 04 09:41 AM
Raid & non-Raid together kony General 0 April 22nd 04 12:07 AM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate General 10 January 1st 04 07:17 PM
Incompatible RAID controller? @drian General 1 November 9th 03 07:38 PM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM