5200 vs Dell integrated?

Old June 24th 04, 10:11 PM
Travis

Default 5200 vs Dell integrated?

I got a new Dell 4600 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM and skipped the
"Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" for a GeForce 5200FX. It
runs all my legacy flight sims very well: RB3D in the dgVoodoo
Glide wrapper, EAW, WW2 Fighters (on Sundays only) plus the
Motocross Madness twins.

I'm curious, however: After all the trashing of the 5200 family
I've read here, can anyone tell me how the 5200 compares with the
"Extreme Graphics 2" currently capped on the back of my new
motherboard and lying dormant?

Like an idiot, I sprang for Dell's idea of a "performance" add-on
for graphics rather than waiting and picking up something on my
own after some decent research. (Atrophied shopper skills:
'Haven't bought a new system since my P2/400 in 1998.)

Many thanks!

Old June 25th 04, 12:05 AM
CapFusion

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message

I got a new Dell 4600 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM and skipped the
"Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" for a GeForce 5200FX. It
runs all my legacy flight sims very well: RB3D in the dgVoodoo
Glide wrapper, EAW, WW2 Fighters (on Sundays only) plus the
Motocross Madness twins.

I'm curious, however: After all the trashing of the 5200 family
I've read here, can anyone tell me how the 5200 compares with the
"Extreme Graphics 2" currently capped on the back of my new
motherboard and lying dormant?

Like an idiot, I sprang for Dell's idea of a "performance" add-on
for graphics rather than waiting and picking up something on my
own after some decent research. (Atrophied shopper skills:
'Haven't bought a new system since my P2/400 in 1998.)

If I only have those two as an option without any extra cost, then FX5200.
But need an added extra cost, I will not get it and wait for more penny
rolling in. Then add a better card when you have enough pennies. I will say
both are just the same [IMO].

Some say EG2 is a bit better but other say FX5200. But I will say both are
not too good in today current game but OK with typical offices application.

This is my brand new shiny ¼ cent of a penny for you.

CapFusion,...

Old June 25th 04, 12:06 AM
Augustus

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message

I got a new Dell 4600 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM and skipped the
"Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" for a GeForce 5200FX. It
runs all my legacy flight sims very well: RB3D in the dgVoodoo
Glide wrapper, EAW, WW2 Fighters (on Sundays only) plus the
Motocross Madness twins.

I'm curious, however: After all the trashing of the 5200 family
I've read here, can anyone tell me how the 5200 compares with the
"Extreme Graphics 2" currently capped on the back of my new
motherboard and lying dormant?

Like an idiot, I sprang for Dell's idea of a "performance" add-on
for graphics rather than waiting and picking up something on my
own after some decent research. (Atrophied shopper skills:
'Haven't bought a new system since my P2/400 in 1998.)

Not all 5200's are crap.....just the 64bit versions....any 128bit Ultra
version will begin to approach decent performance. And even the 64bit
versions will play many modern titles, it's just many of the newer GPU
intensive games that make it fall flat on it's face.

Old June 25th 04, 06:06 PM
tntkid

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.67...
"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

I'm curious, however: After all the trashing of the 5200 family
I've read here, can anyone tell me how the 5200 compares with the
"Extreme Graphics 2" currently capped on the back of my new
motherboard and lying dormant?

The fx 5200 isn't a crappy card that deserves trashing, and especially
the 128 bit card. It's a _low end_ graphics card for those of us who
play a 3D game every now and then, and aren't in for a lot of the
heavyweight 3D games flooding the market.

As a lot of people buying and playing these games will look for optimal
performance, and quite a lot are of the "younger ages" with not much
bucks in the pocket, they'll look for cheap solutions, find a cheap
solution with the fx 5200 and judge it a cheap solution in surprise.
It's like buying a cheap car and complaining it has no airco, no built-
in navigation system and no leather seats.

Extreme graphics 2 is good for "entry level" pc's and for the user
reading his mailbox, running Word, and playing a game of 3D tetris. Fx
5200 is for someone who wants to play an occasional 3D game in a
moderate resolution, and doesn't have to have the detailed level and
frame rate for shooters where you need to have a kill rate of 100
persons a second, or flitesims where you want a scenery with the ability
to see the ground steward in the terminal building scratching his ass.

It's a fine budget choice for moderate aspirations.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

I've been waiting for someone to say something like this, I don't think the
FX5200 is as bad as it's made out to be

And yes I have used one before

Old June 25th 04, 06:24 PM
Travis

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Most of my gaming stuff
consists of legacy flight sims from Back in The Day, RB3D, EAW,
Crimson Skies, WW2F, et al. -- 1998-2000

'Hopefully the 5200 will get me 'round those until Santa arrives,
anyway.

Old June 26th 04, 02:30 PM
Dark Avenger

"Travis" travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote in message ...
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Most of my gaming stuff
consists of legacy flight sims from Back in The Day, RB3D, EAW,
Crimson Skies, WW2F, et al. -- 1998-2000

'Hopefully the 5200 will get me 'round those until Santa arrives,
anyway.

Oh surely it will... it's not THAT bad a card... for todays standards
though it's substandard... but for legacy games... definitly good
enough!
Old June 28th 04, 10:27 PM
NN

tntkid wrote:

I've been waiting for someone to say something like this, I don't
think the FX5200 is as bad as it's made out to be

I was watching some of the threads regarding the 5200. I have an AOpen
GeForce 5200FX (nVidia) that is 128-bit. Due to financial difficulties, a
very good friend of mine got me some computer parts (A-Bit IS-10 mobo and a
2GHz Intel P4) in addition to the video card. I don't play too many games,
really but what we were after was something to process video. I got WinTV
and a DVD writers, and have some stuff to put to DVD so that my collection
of VHS tapes won't go bad when I want to see them. I did give it a whirl
and also with a Knight Rider 3D game demo. I would say the video card is
pretty decent for my needs. I wouldn't say anything bad about it myself. And
the game did make me almost loose my lunch. (Ok, I have a slight problem
with watching fast motion so I guess that explains it. LOL!) I also do a lot
of work with Paint Shop Pro 8, digital art and photography, web site design.
I like to play a game or two (mostly older and calmer pased stuff though) on
occasion. I'm quite happy with the the card and also the general display. I
loved the built-in ATI Rage Pro Turbo that was in my old eMachines, then
when I got a Syntax mobo with Via chipset - that sucked. This system now
really is MUCH better.

I'm sure that it'll do fine for my needs and even video processing stuff,
watching TV and DVDs. If this works out good, I'd even recommend it to folks
on a tight budget.

Old June 29th 04, 01:17 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:11:31 -0400, "Travis"
travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net wrote:

I got a new Dell 4600 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM and skipped the
"Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" for a GeForce 5200FX. It
runs all my legacy flight sims very well: RB3D in the dgVoodoo
Glide wrapper, EAW, WW2 Fighters (on Sundays only) plus the
Motocross Madness twins.

I'm curious, however: After all the trashing of the 5200 family
I've read here, can anyone tell me how the 5200 compares with the
"Extreme Graphics 2" currently capped on the back of my new
motherboard and lying dormant?

Lets put it this way...

A basic 5200(128bit) on a scale of 1 to 10 would be something like a
3, the Intel Extreme would be a 0.

A 5900/9800 would be a 7 and the 6800Pro/X800s would be 10++

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Old August 26th 04, 04:58 PM
Darthy

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 23:06:04 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

[...]

Considering that the 5600s are slower than the Ti4200s (which were
about $80 when they faded away) - the 5200 is crap... unless is under
$50.

- - - - -