nVidia GeForce4 MX vs. ATI All In Wonder

Old June 22nd 03, 09:26 PM
Tom Rossi

Default nVidia GeForce4 MX vs. ATI All In Wonder

I'm having a hard time deciding which video card to upgrade my home
computer. I have it set up like a media center (watch and record TV
on a large monitor). I've been using the ATI All In Wonder 128 for
years and haven't ever gotten it to work very well. The Guide+
application is crappy and ATI support isn't so hot.

I've been looking at the nVidia GeForce4 MX and it looks like a great
alternative. But it is an unknown for me since I've never seen its
applications or worked with their support.

Could some people weigh in with their thoughts and experiences?

In particular this is what is most important to me:

1. PVR Software. I need to be able to look at a TV Guide and select
what I want to record.

2. TV Tuning. The application for watching TV has to be pretty easy
to use for channel surfing and all.

3. Video Capture. I need to be able to easily capture video from my
video camera using USB2 or FireWire.

Based on my priorities listed above, if you could recommend a
particular model that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
Old June 22nd 03, 11:02 PM
Alan Shepherd

2 alternatives:
An AIW Radeon (7500 or later) with a separate Firewire card. (Not the
8500DV)
A GF 4 with Vivo, paired with the Firewire card and a TV Tuner (or VCR for
tuning functions)

Intervideo's WinDVR is quite good, and many find it better than Ati's MMC.
Personally I liked the MMC but never got the scheduling to work. Install
both with the AIW, WinDVR with the GF.

The GF does not come with any apps for capture, it just offers DirectShow
for TV Capture, the same as the AIW. Ati offer the MMC app set.