mouse detection problem

Old March 10th 04, 10:50 AM
Andreas Bernsel

Default mouse detection problem

Hello,

I dual boot Redhat 8.0 and WinXP on a pentium4 machine. I have 10m extension
cables for the mouse, keyboard and monitor, and the keyboard and monitor
work perfectly without problems. Trying to get the mouse to work in XP, I
have strange problems though. In linux, there are no problems, the mouse
works just as it should, which means the signal is at least reaching the
computer. But in XP, when the mouse is connected through the extension
cable, it doesn't work at all, like it hasn't been detected by XP or
something. Without the extension cable, there are no problems in XP, so the
mouse drivers should be in order. To sum up:

1. Mouse + extension cable work in linux, which means there is nothing wrong
with the hardware.
2. Mouse without extension cable works in WinXP, which means there is
nothing wrong with the mouse drivers.

So, if nothing is wrong with neither the hardware nor the mouse drivers,
then what is the reason for the problem?

The mouse is an optical logitech MX510 with the provided USB-PS/2 adapter,
which is connected through the PS/2 extension cable to the PS/2 port on the
motherboard. I am aware that 10 meters is quite long for a PS/2 extension
cable, but the reason I am posting this is that everything works just fine
in linux.

Thanks
/Andreas

Old March 10th 04, 12:37 PM
kony

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:50:51 +0100, "Andreas Bernsel"
bernsel__at__hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

Doesn't XP increase the PS/2 sampling rate? Try reducing the sampling
rate, it might be lower when you're running Linux.

This will measure the sampling rate in windows:
http://www.bluesnews.com/files/misc/mouserate.shtml

You can use various programs to change the sampling rate (google search
will find them), maybe even it's properties in Device Manager. IIRC it's
also a setting in Logitech's Mouseware driver and maybe the later
Microsoft drivers.