Problems with display

Old April 6th 04, 01:42 PM
funggel frugolity

Default Problems with display

I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
directing me to the right one.

I'm running XP Home Edition and I keep having a recurring problem with
the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update." I tried
reinstalling the video driver, but I got a message that said "software
could not be installed" or the like. It's really screwing me up. Now
it's getting to the point that reinstalling the OS doesn't work any
more. Help!

Old April 6th 04, 02:04 PM
funggel frugolity

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:42:17 GMT, funggel frugolity
wrote:

I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
directing me to the right one.

Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM
Old April 6th 04, 02:45 PM
Gene Puhl

funggel frugolity astounded us with:
:

wrote:

I hope this is the right group. If it's not, I'd appreciate someone
directing me to the right one.

Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM

Hang on, don't tell me anymore, it might help me with your problem....
Try alt.comp.hardware.clairvoyance...
/sarcasm
You'll need to provide a LOT more info if you want help.
What kind of display
What kind of problem
What Operating System
What kind of video card.
The more information, the better.

--
Gene P
Old April 6th 04, 03:57 PM
funggel frugolity

Sorry, I'm a newb obviously.

Oh, the mb is a P4P800-VM

Hang on, don't tell me anymore, it might help me with your problem....
Try alt.comp.hardware.clairvoyance...
/sarcasm
You'll need to provide a LOT more info if you want help.
What kind of display

VGA Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (is that what you need to know?)

What kind of problem

I keep having a recurring problem with
the display not drawing properly. Sometimes there are "streaks" across
the screen, other times the screen goes almost black except for a few
patches of the screen which look screwed up. Just display problems in
general (it's ok for the time being.) I got an error message that said
something like "Driver AG315-64 cannot complete draw update."

What Operating System

Windows XP Home Edition

What kind of video card.

AG315

The more information, the better.

Hope that helps.
Old April 6th 04, 07:03 PM
Paul

In article , funggel frugolity
wrote:

[...]

So, this is your graphics board ?
http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/ecs-ag315t/index.html
http://www.fryssupport.net/frys/AG315.cfm

Your problems could be:

1) Bad video memory chips on the video card. (Is there a tweaker
for the video card, and have you been pushing the video memory
faster than its rating ?)
2) AGP interface on the card cannot really handle AGP 4x rate.
Maybe reducing the rate to AGP 2x in the BIOS will help.
3) Video driver from SIS needs an upgrade ?

I found this note while searching on Altavista:

"AG315 4X mode issue on VIA chipset main board (01/11/2002)
*
Taipei -- Jan 11, 2002

According to SiS FAQ document, Ref. No.: 315-FAQ-003, Date:
December 3, 2001, SiS315 has compatibility issue with some VIA
chipset main boards and it would cause AGP access fail in
4X mode. But it works fine in 2X mode. SiS declares that it is
timing issue rather than functional issue and it could be solve
in chipset side rather than VGA side. Please check the SiSıs file
315-FAQ-003 for detail. Since we are both VGA card maker and
main board manufacturer, we can guarantee that AG315 is able
to support 4X mode on all our VIA chipset main boards base on
the verification of our RD. However, we cannot ensure that
other NON-ECS/PCCHIPS VIA chipset main boards are also fully
compatible with AG315."

Based on that note, go into the BIOS and reduce the AGP setting.

(I just checked the datasheet for the 865G Northbridge, and
it only supports AGP 1X, 4X, 8X. So, you would have to drop
all the way to AGP 1X operation, and since there is no setting
in the BIOS, you may need a copy of Powerstrip from entechtaiwan.com
to try to change the AGP setting.

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm )

Considering the price of that shareware, maybe purchasing an
Nvidia FX5200 would be a better deal.

If you are looking for an upgraded driver, try here. Looks
like the same 10MB download for the SIS315/315e:

http://download.sis.com/index_step1.php

HTH,
Paul
Old April 7th 04, 12:05 AM
DaveW

Which motherboard, which video card, and which driver are you using? It
would help to know.

--
DaveW