heatsink and p4c800-e deluxe

Old February 7th 04, 03:41 AM
John H

Default heatsink and p4c800-e deluxe

I have found a few mentions of an error resulting from the heatsink putting
too much torque on the board... is this still a flaw or has this been
debunked.

Everything else about the board screams 'buy me'

thanks!

JohnH

Old February 7th 04, 05:16 AM
Philip Callan

"John H" wrote in message
I have found a few mentions of an error resulting from the heatsink

putting
too much torque on the board... is this still a flaw or has this been
debunked.

Maybe if you apply to much pressure while attching it, but as with most
issues, if your careful and
follow procedure, shouldn't have any troubles, I didnt.

Everything else about the board screams 'buy me'

Including its performance in real world application, I've been ripping
DVD's, transferring MiniDV to DVD via
firewire and rencoding for web etc, it rules...

thanks!

JohnH

Old February 7th 04, 03:44 PM
wfs

This was solved on the P4C800-E I purchased at the end of December.

(the one I purchased at the end of November - sticker said revision 2) had
the problem - which was why it was sent back. After a few weeks it would
only boot up one in 10 times. )

Bill

- The 'old heatsink, presses down on some solder joints. You could quite
clearly see that the solder had been 'flattened' by the mount. ASUS altered
the design of the mount so it no longer presses down on the solder joints,
the mount now has spacers so it doesn't press on the bits it shouldn't.