My new P4P800

Old December 4th 03, 07:05 PM
Musashi

Default My new P4P800

I have completed my new P4P800 with
P4 3.0 Ghz and 2 x 256 Crucial.
I used a ghosted 80g seagate barracuda
HD from my P4PE machine, and everything booted up, Win2000 found new stuff,
the usual.

My only problem is that I have 4 unknown
devices (question marks) in device manager listed under "other devices".
I've already gone through the CD that came with the P4P800 board.
What could these be? And can I "disable" them without worry?

Thanks VM

Old December 4th 03, 08:02 PM
Hawkeye

If all your known devices are listed and working you might delete
these items in question and reboot to see if you get a new device
detected notification see if you can figure it out from there. Might
delete 1 item at a time per reboot to avoid confusion

Old December 4th 03, 08:08 PM
Ken Fox

"Musashi" wrote in message
om...
I have completed my new P4P800 with
P4 3.0 Ghz and 2 x 256 Crucial.
I used a ghosted 80g seagate barracuda
HD from my P4PE machine, and everything booted up, Win2000 found new

stuff,
the usual.

My only problem is that I have 4 unknown
devices (question marks) in device manager listed under "other devices".
I've already gone through the CD that came with the P4P800 board.
What could these be? And can I "disable" them without worry?

Thanks VM

Possibly one is the RAID controller.

Since you used a ghosted image from another motherboard with a different
chipset, it is hard to figure out what is going on. Maybe the best thing to
do is to delete the devices and then the PNP operating system will find them
again. Maybe this time around you will have a better idea of what they
represent as conflicts from old device drivers hopefully will be eliminated.

But there may well be better suggestions ---

ken
p.s. do these devices show up under safe mode?

Old December 4th 03, 08:56 PM
Musashi

"Hawkeye" wrote in message
If all your known devices are listed and working you might delete
these items in question and reboot to see if you get a new device
detected notification see if you can figure it out from there. Might
delete 1 item at a time per reboot to avoid confusion

I deleted them from Device Manager, and on reboot Win2k detects them
and goes through the driver install deal.
All 4 question marks are back in my device manager.
Same thing whether deleted one at a time or all at once.

Old December 4th 03, 08:57 PM
Musashi

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
"Musashi" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Under safe mode, they are not there.

Old December 4th 03, 09:58 PM
Max Attar Feingold

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:56:35 GMT, "Musashi"
said:

"Hawkeye" wrote in message
.. .
If all your known devices are listed and working you might delete
these items in question and reboot to see if you get a new device
detected notification see if you can figure it out from there. Might
delete 1 item at a time per reboot to avoid confusion

I deleted them from Device Manager, and on reboot Win2k detects them
and goes through the driver install deal.
All 4 question marks are back in my device manager.
Same thing whether deleted one at a time or all at once.

Install the Intel Inf update.

Max Attar Feingold
maf6 at cornell dot edu
http://almonaster.sourceforge.net/mfeingol/

Not speaking for my employer
Old December 5th 03, 01:10 AM
Darkfalz

My only problem is that I have 4 unknown
devices (question marks) in device manager listed under "other devices".
I've already gone through the CD that came with the P4P800 board.
What could these be? And can I "disable" them without worry?

Probably your

SoundMAX onboard sound
Your VIA Firewire
Your 3com Gigabit LAN
Your VIA RAID driver

Old December 5th 03, 01:20 AM
Ken Fox

"Musashi" wrote in message
. com...

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
"Musashi" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Under safe mode, only certain basic devices will show up (this is why you
can go into safe mode and resolve conflicts that you could not resolve under
normal boot mode). I'm not exactly sure which of your devices would show up
in regular vs. safe mode, but hopefully someone else more familiar with your
particular mobo (I am not, I have the 865 based P4P800Dlx) would be more
helpful when it comes to chipset drivers and other embedded mobo devices.
Sounds like this is related to the chipset, methinks.

ken

Old December 5th 03, 01:23 AM
Ken Fox

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
Under safe mode, they are not there.

Under safe mode, only certain basic devices will show up (this is why you
can go into safe mode and resolve conflicts that you could not resolve

under
normal boot mode). I'm not exactly sure which of your devices would show

up
in regular vs. safe mode, but hopefully someone else more familiar with

your
particular mobo (I am not, I have the 865 based P4P800Dlx) would be more
helpful when it comes to chipset drivers and other embedded mobo devices.
Sounds like this is related to the chipset, methinks.

ken

excuse my brainfart. What I meant to say is that your former mobo, had a
different chipset (some sort of 845, right?), and when you transfer the
ghosted image from that board the operating system is finding a different
chipset on the new system than the drivers you have for the old one. So, I
think this is what you need, a new set of chipset drivers. Someone else in
another part of this thread said essentially the same thing, I think.

ken
p.s. check out the Asus website and search out the downloads for the P4P800
and you should find the chipset drivers in there somewhere.

Old December 8th 03, 05:10 PM
Musashi

"Musashi" wrote in message
om...

My thanks to everyone who answered.
The 4 unknown devices turned out to the videocapture chipset
on my Gainward GE Force4 video card which I had forgotten all about,
and the win2k drivers were not up todate.
New drivers from the Gainward site cleared my device manager.
Aghain thanks very much

Musashi