A7N8X DELUXE memory issue (Ben you there?)

Old November 22nd 03, 04:45 PM
Bitsbucket

Default A7N8X DELUXE memory issue (Ben you there?)

Hi,
Ben, I hope you read this,
I have the above MOBO with memory from a company called Komusa, they have a
great reseller rating at resellerratings.com and I bought a pair of copper
heat sinked 512 meg sticks of PC-3500 memory for my MOBO and am running a
Barton core 2500+ at 200 MHz FSB so I have essentially a 3200+
Here is the prob. every now and then (maybe 1 out of 5 boots, and almost
always after running some damn game that locks the system up) I get the
voice at boot that says "system failed memory test, system now booting from
operating system" and everything works fine. I have run memtest86 on it
over-night and no memory errors are reported.
Here is the machine config:
A7N8X DELUXE (bios 1007)
2500+ Barton core@ 200MHz FSB
Memory running at same, in "optimal" not "aggressive"
450 watt allied pwr supp. (I do not think this is the prob.)
1 gig of Komusa matched 512 meg copper heat sink mem.
1 CD burner
1 DVD drive
1 CD-Rom
1 80 gig Maxtor (boot w/ 8meg cache)
1 80 gig WD (8meg cache)
1 120 gig WD (8meg cache)
the 80 gig WD and the 120 gig WD are running on a second controller that
came with the 120 gig drive, it's a promise ATA-133 controller
card.......(and speaking of that, drive access seems slow, but that is
another story)
6 fans including 2 in the power supply and the cpu fan
using onboard sound
after monitoring the temps and voltages I do not think that the problems lie
there, and I have run memtest86 and another memory tester, both over-night
and neither report any errors of any kind................This board was a
"refurb" from Newegg, could the board itself be bad? If so, it is under the
factory warranty from ASUS.
Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks
Bitsbucket

---

Old November 22nd 03, 05:12 PM
Pug

I get exactly the same message every now and then with my corsair 3200 ram,
I ignore it and so far absolutely no problem with stability.

Steve

.. .

Old November 22nd 03, 05:23 PM
Ben Pope

Bitsbucket wrote:
Hi,
Ben, I hope you read this,
I have the above MOBO with memory from a company called Komusa, they have
a great reseller rating at resellerratings.com and I bought a pair of
copper heat sinked 512 meg sticks of PC-3500 memory for my MOBO and am
running a Barton core 2500+ at 200 MHz FSB so I have essentially a 3200+
Here is the prob. every now and then (maybe 1 out of 5 boots, and almost
always after running some damn game that locks the system up) I get the
voice at boot that says "system failed memory test, system now booting
from operating system" and everything works fine. I have run memtest86 on
it over-night and no memory errors are reported.

Turn of POST reporter, forget that she ever told you there was something
wrong, run memtest86 over night again if necessary to convince yourself the
memory is ok and your worries shall go away.

:-P

Here is the machine config:
A7N8X DELUXE (bios 1007)
2500+ Barton core@ 200MHz FSB
Memory running at same, in "optimal" not "aggressive"
450 watt allied pwr supp. (I do not think this is the prob.)
1 gig of Komusa matched 512 meg copper heat sink mem.
1 CD burner
1 DVD drive
1 CD-Rom
1 80 gig Maxtor (boot w/ 8meg cache)
1 80 gig WD (8meg cache)
1 120 gig WD (8meg cache)
the 80 gig WD and the 120 gig WD are running on a second controller that
came with the 120 gig drive, it's a promise ATA-133 controller
card.......(and speaking of that, drive access seems slow, but that is
another story)

Using somehting like Aida32 or Sandra, confirm that the drives are in an
UDMA mode...

Ben

Old November 22nd 03, 06:21 PM
AJ

Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks
Bitsbucket

Turn the voice off so you don't hear false trouble alerts. If you ever
have trouble turn the voice back on.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old November 23rd 03, 04:42 PM
Bitsbucket

Hi,
Thanks for the responses, so I take it that the little voice is not very
reliable?
I will turn HER off then, too bad you can't turn off other voices that easy!
Thanks
Bitsbucket