A7N8X Deluxe "System Failed VGA Test"

Old July 29th 03, 10:35 PM
S.Heenan

Default A7N8X Deluxe "System Failed VGA Test"

Terry J. Ilardi wrote:
I recently built a system with this motherboard and am having trouble
with video in the AGP slot. The system is as follows:

Barton 2500+
512M Crucial PC3200 RAM
IBM 80GB harddrive
Liteon DVD
Liteon CDRW
Santa Cruz Sound Card

PNY GeForce2 Ti 64Mb video card

The system worked for about 2 weeks with the GeForce2 video card.
Then the video card (which had been working great in in another
machine for a year) seemed to die. I replaced it with another PNY
GeForce2 card (which works in another machine) but which does not
work in the A7N8X. It fails to to boot and gives me the audible
message "System Failed VGA Test"

The machine works fine with a PCI video card that I had around.

I'm running with BIOS 1005. It didn't work any better with BIOS 1003
(haven't tried 1004).

This can't be a driver issue because the machine doesn't get to

Could the GeForce2 card be incompatible with the A7N8X?

A Geforce2 card should be fine.Reseat the video card. New boards tend to
take a little more oomph.

Could this be caused by an IRQ conflict with the Santa Cruz sound
card?

Maybe. Remove the sound card for the time being and try booting. When you
replace it, plce it in the third PCI slot.
Go into the BIOS and disable the Post Reporter, she's annoying. Also, set to
"Halt on No Errors". Save and Exit.

Is there a jumper I need to set somewhere to enable the AGP slot?

No
Could the AGP slot be defective (everything else runs great)?

Possible.

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Old July 31st 03, 10:35 PM
Terry J. Ilardi

As best I can make out the PNY card is incompatible with the A7N8X
Deluxe. I swapped video cards with a friend who also has an A7N8X
Deluxe. The PNY card failed in his motherboard also (same
symptom-wouldn't boot) and his video card-an ASUS V9280 worked fine in
my motherboard.

The PNY card works fine in an older machine I have so it's not defective.

I am now in the market for a new video card. Lots of people recommend
an NVIDIA 4200 based card as the "sweet spot" in the video card market
right now. Can anyone make recommendations for a good card using the
chipset. Thanks.

Terry Ilardi

Terry J. Ilardi wrote:
[...]

This can't be a driver issue because the machine doesn't get to loading
Windows.

Could the GeForce2 card be incompatible with the A7N8X?

Could this be caused by an IRQ conflict with the Santa Cruz sound card?

Is there a jumper I need to set somewhere to enable the AGP slot?

Could the AGP slot be defective (everything else runs great)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry Ilardi

Old August 1st 03, 01:47 AM
S.Heenan

Terry J. Ilardi wrote:
As best I can make out the PNY card is incompatible with the A7N8X
Deluxe. I swapped video cards with a friend who also has an A7N8X
Deluxe. The PNY card failed in his motherboard also (same
symptom-wouldn't boot) and his video card-an ASUS V9280 worked fine in
my motherboard.

The PNY card works fine in an older machine I have so it's not
defective.

I am now in the market for a new video card. Lots of people recommend
an NVIDIA 4200 based card as the "sweet spot" in the video card market
right now. Can anyone make recommendations for a good card using the
chipset. Thanks.

Terry Ilardi

The AsusV9280 like your friend has is a good card for about $120 USD. If 2D
quality is important, Matrox makes some very nice video cards. If you're a
gamer, the ATI Radeon 9x00 series may be of interest.
--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Old August 1st 03, 02:41 PM
Terry J. Ilardi

S.Heenan wrote:

The AsusV9280 like your friend has is a good card for about $120 USD. If 2D
quality is important, Matrox makes some very nice video cards. If you're a
gamer, the ATI Radeon 9x00 series may be of interest.

Thanks. Any idea where I can get this for &120 USD. Newegg is out of
stock at the moment but wants $150 anyway.

Terry Ilardi

Old August 1st 03, 05:46 PM
S.Heenan

Terry J. Ilardi wrote:
S.Heenan wrote:

The AsusV9280 like your friend has is a good card for about $120
USD. If 2D quality is important, Matrox makes some very nice video
cards. If you're a gamer, the ATI Radeon 9x00 series may be of
interest.

Thanks. Any idea where I can get this for &120 USD. Newegg is out of
stock at the moment but wants $150 anyway.

Terry Ilardi

I converted from CND to USD. Here's a few:
http://canadacomputers.com/video.html#gra

--
Winerr 00B - Push Error; Removing Files to Make Room for Advertisement

Old August 4th 03, 03:00 PM
Terry J. Ilardi

Robert Sudbury wrote:
I've had a system fail like this, during a clean installation. It turned
out to be the power supply.

I was thinking about that, but that still doesn't explain why the same
board (the PNY) also fails in my friends AN78X system, yet works in
another older system that I own. I guess it's possible that the older
GeForce2 Ti board has a higher current draw then then GeForce4 board
causing it to fail in both systems, but that is not what I would expect.

Terry Ilardi

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Can't install any OS (hardware fault?) Paul Richard Homebuilt PC's 4 September 27th 03 12:55 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
A7N8X Deluxe possible problem with Particular USB device. Mark Pearce Asus Motherboards 0 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM
A7n8x Deluxe, problem with USB 2.0 hallo hard disk Markus Pubantz Asus Motherboards 2 July 16th 03 07:31 AM