Radeon 9600 or 9600 Pro for MCE 2005?

Old December 4th 04, 02:27 PM
Tiny Tim

Default Radeon 9600 or 9600 Pro for MCE 2005?

I've ordered all the bits to build my own MCE 2005 Shuttle with the sole
exception of the graphics card. I have narrowed the choice down to the
Sapphire Radeon 9600 or the Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage. Pricewise
the difference is too small to worry about so the decision all comes down to
noise vs performance. The plain 9600 is passively cooled, whereas the 9600
Pro has a small fan. The Pro has higher GPU and memory clock speeds and is
therefore faster. I guess the fan also contributes towards better
overclocking headroom, if neede.

I like the idea of the quicker card but only if the noise levels are going
to be bearable for an MCE machine in a tightly packed Shuttle casing. The
reviews I have found say the fan is not too noisy but they are viewing from
a gaming perspective rather than an MCE perspective so would probably accept
some noise. Can anyone comment on the noise levels from the Pro card when
used for music, photos, video/DVD or gaming? If gaming then I guess a bit of
noise will be tollerable whereas for all other types of use I would hope for
near silence.

Thanks for any feedback :-)

Old December 4th 04, 03:44 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

you wont need the pro if you arent gaming, but if you are then you'll want
the pro. why not get the best of both worlds and get the pro and one of
these?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...of_Zalman.html
very bottom of the list.
so its costing you another 25 quid, but for the performance plus
silentness....

Old December 4th 04, 03:54 PM
Tiny Tim

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

The gaming thing is exactly my dilemma. When I first started planning this I
had no interest in using the machine for gaming, as I am quite happy with my
Xbox and collection of 30 games to date and growing. But when I saw Half
Life 2 on a gaming programme I really began to wonder whether I might at
least like the option to play PC games, albeit at only at 800*600 on my TV.
I do not want a monitor in the setup other than for the initial build and
any BIOS or debug work so until I can afford a nice big HD flat panel
display a TV screen is all that I'll be using if I game at all.

I also don't know how much room I will have in the Shuttle case to fit a
Zalman cooler. The bits haven't arrived yet and I have never seen a Shuttle
in the flesh but it looks like the Zalman will add a lot to the width of the
card - maybe too much to squeeze in next to the tuner card.

--
Please quote "easytiger" for your PlusNet referral :-)

Old December 4th 04, 04:02 PM
Champ

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:27:10 -0000, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

I've ordered all the bits to build my own MCE 2005 Shuttle with the sole
exception of the graphics card. I have narrowed the choice down to the
Sapphire Radeon 9600 or the Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Advantage. Pricewise
the difference is too small to worry about so the decision all comes down to
noise vs performance. The plain 9600 is passively cooled, whereas the 9600
Pro has a small fan. The Pro has higher GPU and memory clock speeds and is
therefore faster. I guess the fan also contributes towards better
overclocking headroom, if neede.

What model Shuttle is it? The ones designed for media centre use have
pretty good graphics on board already, and the only reason for
installing a high end GPU would be to run games. And, as you
correctly say, the extra heat will require extra cooling = extra
noise.

I'm just building (haven't actually got the bits yet) a Shuttle MCE
system, based on the ST62K Zen - according to the blurb it has
- integrated ATI RADEON 9100 based 2D/3D graphics core
- fully support DirectX 8.1
- shared Memory max. 128MB
- with TV out support PAL and NTSC systems

I don't see the need for a GPU there...
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old
Old December 4th 04, 04:28 PM
Tiny Tim

wrote:

[...]

I've chosen an SN95G5 which takes an Athlon 64 Skt939 CPU as I wanted
something a bit more future proof and with options to expand use beyond just
TV/Video and music, including possibly gaming. There are no on board
graphics in that SFF. I also wanted the higher performance but lower power
consumption of the Athon 64 90nm chip vs the Pentiums.

I know there are certainly cheaper options but Intel just does not appeal
and I want to look forward to what 64 bit computing has to offer in the
future.

--
Please quote "easytiger" for your PlusNet referral :-)

Old December 4th 04, 06:22 PM
QP

I just got done building a Shuttle SB65G2 with MCE 2005 and I used the
Sapphire 9600... better without the fan and plenty powerful enuf.

Auggie

Old December 4th 04, 06:33 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
Iain Dingsdale wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

god thats a good point, my mate has a shuttle with a 9600 pro and a TV
tuner. the tuner part of the card is about 2 mil away from the 9600 :S
best bet might be a more conventional silent fan

--
Please quote "easytiger" for your PlusNet referral :-)

Old December 5th 04, 02:51 AM
John Smith

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Go for the fanless one - the whole point of a MCE is they are supposed to be
in the living room and QUIET.

Old December 5th 04, 08:02 PM
Tiny Tim

Duddits wrote:

Get the 9600 128-bit card like the one he
http://tinyurl.com/5ot8o

regards

Dud

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately the Rosewill brand does not
appear to be available in the UK.

It seems the Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB Ultimate will give me the
performance and silence I require as it is a fanless 9600XT card. The
problem I now need to resolve is whether it will fit in the SN95G5 case and
leave enough space to stick a Hauppauge Win-PVR-150-MCE in the PCI slot.
I've seen a few reports that the card will fit the Shuttle OK but no mention
of whether the PCI slot remains clear. There are some dimensions for the
card here....

http://www.sapphiretech.com/broschure/ult-dimension.pdf

But as the Shuttle does not arrive till Tuesday I cannot tell whether I will
have enough room. I've fired off a query to Shuttle but if anyone else knows
the answer I'd like to order my GFX card pronto so that it arrive on Tuesday
in time to fit to the rest of the bits.

Thanks,
Tim.

Old December 6th 04, 01:22 AM
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:02:39 -0000, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

problem I now need to resolve is whether it will fit in the SN95G5 case and
leave enough space to stick a Hauppauge Win-PVR-150-MCE in the PCI slot.
I've seen a few reports that the card will fit the Shuttle OK but no mention
of whether the PCI slot remains clear. There are some dimensions for the
card here....

http://www.sapphiretech.com/broschure/ult-dimension.pdf

That looks very like the Zalman fanless heatsink mentioned earlier...

I've got one of those wrapped round my own 9600pro, and I can tell you
that if the AGP and PCI are side by side in the SN95G5, you will _not_
fit a PCI card in as well. The whole next slot is taken by heatsink
(top one in your pic).

I'd be mildly surprised if it fits in the Shuttle at all, even by
itself - I suspect that the back-side heatsink (bottom one on your
pic) would clash with the drive cage. I've not been in that model, but
the SN45G's I've built probably wouldn't take it without modification.
I've not got one here to test at the moment though.

The original fan I took off my 9600pro was a nasty whiny little thing,
too. No suggestions, apart from "play Xbox games instead". Sorry.

Cheers - Jaimie (happily enjoying HL2)
--
Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere