Query on new computer

Old June 28th 03, 12:35 AM
aNdY_05

Default Query on new computer

Hi all..

Just made myself a new computer P4 2.4Ghz with 256mb ddr ram and the
installation of w2k went very well.

Problems arose when i disconnected the cd-rom that was used to install the
o/s. Basically the computer wouldn't load up. At the hard disk check it
would just pause as if looking for the cdrom. So i decided to put in a
different cd rom. This time it loaded (after again pausing at the bios
screen for some time) and then said that there was an 'error loading the
operating system'.

I put back the original cd-rom device that was used to install the o/s and
it worked like a charm. Windows was loading up and everything seemed to be
fine. I take out the cd-rom and it won't budge.

I have looked through both W2k system properties and the bios settings but
nothing i seem to do works.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8GE800 and the CPU is just a Intel P4
Processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
aNdY

Old June 28th 03, 01:11 AM
Dan G

Your BIOS is probably set wrong for booting. check the boot sequence and
make sure that the HD is listed first.

"aNdY_05" wrote in message
. au...
I forgot to mention that the computer will load only if the cd-rom is
connected as primary slave, if its on any other connection it will not

load
the computer.

--
aNdY

. au...

Old June 28th 03, 06:14 AM
aNdY_05

No i have checked the BIOS settings for booting sequence and the HDD is the
only one that i have made as a booting option

--
aNdY

Old June 28th 03, 04:28 PM
jona

"aNdY_05" wrote in message
. au...
No i have checked the BIOS settings for booting sequence and the HDD is

the
only one that i have made as a booting option

Since you don't mention how (slave or master) and where (primary
or secondary IDE) the drives were connected, this might sound silly,
but perhaps the CDROM was originally jumpered to be the master
device (thus booting off the CD) and the HDD assumed the slave role.
- OR - you had the CDROM on the primary IDE and the HDD on
the secondary IDE when installing.

aNdY

Old July 4th 03, 02:55 AM
Tony Hwang

Hi,
The mobo must have ATA100 or 133. Then you'd use 80 wire cable with CS
instead of master/slave jumpers. When CS is used, the connector is
specific(like first drive has to be at specific connector; color coded)
Tony

alvin york wrote:
"aNdY_05" wrote in message
. au...

No i have checked the BIOS settings for booting sequence and the HDD is

the

only one that i have made as a booting option

--
aNdY

connected as primary slave, if its on any other connection it will not

load

the computer.

--
aNdY

"aNdY_05" wrote in message
. net.au...

[...]

You should always offer more than one choice for bootup.

I use sequence " Adrive, Cd-rom drive, Hard Drive"

Computer Problems JosephNicol General 8 October 5th 04 10:38 PM
New Computer Building Suggestions Yifei Chen General 5 June 30th 03 10:20 PM