low FPS with my 9600 Radeon Pro

Old July 22nd 03, 11:57 PM
Kwijibo

Default low FPS with my 9600 Radeon Pro

Hi,

I just upgraded from a GeFroce2 MX 400 to a Sapphire 9600 Radeon Pro
128MB

I do see a dramatic difference in image quality but when I play
Warcraft III in a multiplayer game, my frame rate drops to as low as
5-10 FPS. I tried lowering the resolution and options in Warcraftiii
to low and off, but that did not really help much at all.

I'm not sure why my FPS is so low. Is it because 9600 radeon pro is
8x GAP and my mobo only supports 4x? Would it also be possible that
my outdated processor and RAM are slowing my FPS down? Would I see a
big difference if I were to get a P4 mobo with say 2.4-2.6 Ghz
processor along with DDRAM ?

Here's my current system

AMD 1.0 Ghz NOT OC'ed
Asus A7V (4x GAP)
384 PC-133 Generic RAM
9600 Radeon Pro
(3) 8MB 80GB HD

thanks!

Kwijibo
Old July 23rd 03, 07:02 AM
I of the Storm

One more thing, make sure you download the latest Catalyst drivers from the
ATI site. The drivers that shipped with the card made UT crash.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:01 PM
Live For The One Die For The One

Did you upgrade the divers i think they are upto 3.3 now ?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:31:53 GMT, Kwijibo
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:58:28 -0700, "I of the Storm"
wrote:

"Kwijibo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hey, I'm interested to see what people have to say. I recently bought a 9600
Pro, too. My UT2k3 framerates aren't as good as I'd like to see. However,
this card overclocks like a fiend. I'm running about 500 core, 345 memory.
The memory is not happy any higher than this, and I think the core could go
higher, but I fear for the life of the card.

I have a P4 2.4B and DDR memory, but I just bought Warcraft 3 today so I
can't really give you a comparison yet. I'm running it at the highest
resolution I can with everything set on high for the single player campaign,
and no problems so far. 5-10 fps, though? That suggests major problems
somewhere...

Oh, make sure your AGP aperature is at 128.

Cheers.

Sigh, I thought you had just found my problem--AGP aperature in the
BIOS. I went into my bios and changed it from 64mb to 128mb. Played
WC3 again. Still! Framerate Per Second was still around 5-10 FPS
during battle. When I was in the chat room, it was around 75 FPS.
But once the game started, I was around 35-40. During a "regular"
battle, it was around 15-20FPS. During a major battle, around 5-8
FPS.

Can anybody help?

thanks!

Old July 23rd 03, 10:20 PM

AMD 1.0 Ghz NOT OC'ed
Asus A7V (4x GAP)
384 PC-133 Generic RAM
9600 Radeon Pro
(3) 8MB 80GB HD

I think your system maybe the bottle neck not the card.
Try increasing the agp aperture on the m/b.
Try using latest drivers for the card.
Try updating the 4 in 1 drivers for your m/b.

I've just built a new pc system and put in a Radeon 9600 pro (Power Color)
and it flies along nicely.

It has the original manufacturers fan and heatsink on the card.
The system is in an Antec Case (with front, side and rear fans).
Asus A7N8X Deluxe m/b.
AMD Athlon 2500 Barton cpu.
512Mb Crucial DDR ram.
Maxtor SATA 120Gb h/d.

The pc is overclocked to 2.1Ghz using x12 multiplier and FSB speed of 175
M/B Settings. (12 x 175 = 2100 or 2.1Ghz) The default setting is 11 x 166
= 1.8Ghz)

The 9600 Pro is overclocked using core clock of 500 and Memory clock of
360 (default setting was 400/330)

I'm using Win XP home and Directx9a and I'm using the latest ATI Catalyst
drivers (v3.6)

I'm getting 3Dmark2003 scores of over 4000 which is pretty good for this
card.

*Peter* - http://www.cix.co.uk/~pjgtech/home.html

Ati Radeon 9600 pro freezes?? Hrki General 5 April 21st 04 11:53 PM
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 256 MB - will freeze playing Morrowind Cool Hand Overclocking 3 October 10th 03 05:46 PM
Radeon 9600 hangs? Mika Peura General 1 October 1st 03 09:47 PM
Radeon 9600 128MB for CND$175 = good deal? Mitchua General 7 September 6th 03 07:19 PM
A7V8X-Deluxe & Radeon 9600 Pro JadeTalisman Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 29th 03 08:53 PM