Biostar M7NCD Issue

Old November 23rd 03, 01:39 AM
John Dziurlaj

Default Biostar M7NCD Issue

Hi All, this is my first post to this newsgroup. This isn't really an
over clocking question, but considering the motherboard I am using is
popular in overclocking circles, I thought I'd give this question a
shot. I have an AMD 2400+ (old core) with a Biostar M7NCD, and have
problems with the computer intermittently turning off. At 100mhz, it
is fairly stable, albeit it is underclocked. It runs at under 50C.
When I try to clock my CPU at 133mhz it become much more sensitive and
reboots whenever it has to do anything remotely graphics intensive
(e.g. Quake III). The temperature remains very low, under 60C. I first
thought it was video card, but ruled that out. I also tried messing
with the Thermal Throttling, not knowing exactly what it does, and the
system would just get worse. I found that it works best around 50%. My
question then is, how do I keep the machine from rebooting all the
time? I've seen similar threads to mine in other newsgroups, but they
have yet to receive a response. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

John
Old November 23rd 03, 04:40 AM
Mickey

Where are you getting the temperature from? If you are not getting it from
the thermal diode I would download a program such as motherboard monitor 5
to check it. You left out a lot of detail such as type of ram. What speed
the ram is running at. Is the ram made to turn at 100mhtz and 133 is
overclocking it? What is the multiplier set to in the bios? What speed is
the chip actually running at?
om...

Old November 23rd 03, 09:47 AM
Josh

[...]

I had the same problem with a M7NCD-Pro, what I had to do was install the
newest nForce drivers (without the IDE option) all fixed!

--Josh

Old November 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
Peter van der Goes

[...]

Overclocking? With a board with no multiplier adjustment and FSB adjustments
of 100, 133, 166 and 200 MHz only? But, I digress.
I have a Biostar M7NCD running an XP 2400+ in a PC in my office. It runs the
CPU at default speed (133 x 15) with the PC2700 memory at 166MHz with
complete reliability. It's your temperatures that I wonder about. As you
didn't post case and room temperatures, it's hard to be precise, but as the
M7NCD temperature sensors measure socket, not diode temperature, I think
your readings are a bit high. My example idles in the 36 - 38C range and
doesn't exceed 43C under full load.
So, we need details, if you want good suggestions. What are the case and
room temperatures? What brand, model, speed RAM are you using, and have you
tweaked the timings in the BIOS? What do you mean by "old core"? Have you
tried resetting the BIOS to failsafe or optimized defaults? What type of
video card, and have you tried updated drivers?
I hope you get the idea. You want us to diagnose your PC sight unseen, so
you need to "paint" the best, most complete, picture you can.

Old November 23rd 03, 02:39 PM
John Dziurlaj

"Mickey" wrote in message ...
Where are you getting the temperature from? If you are not getting it from
the thermal diode I would download a program such as motherboard monitor 5
to check it. You left out a lot of detail such as type of ram.

So sorry. Here are the specs.
1 x Viking DDR333 256MB
What speed
the ram is running at.

DDR333 running at full speed
Is the ram made to turn at 100mhtz and 133 is
overclocking it?

What is the multiplier set to in the bios?
133mhz x multiplyer cannot be manually set. It runs at 1500mhz at
100mhz FSB and 2000mhz ~ at 133FSB.

I have an offboard SCSI controller AHA-2940U2, and a XFX GeForce
FX5200 128MB.

Thanks for the help so far.