Any feedback on Biostar M7NCD MB; other system recommendations?

Old September 9th 03, 03:14 PM
enigma

Default Any feedback on Biostar M7NCD MB; other system recommendations?

The Biostar M7NCD is a lot less than some others with the Nvidia
nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset; any negatives? Reviews were good at newegg,
but couldn't find it rated at motherboards.org.
Or, is there a
different one you'd recommend for an Athlon XP 2500+ or 2600+, with
eye towards bang for the buck? I may overclock, but haven't done so in
the past, and it wouldn't be necessary. But if it can be done with
stability, why not?
Also, somebody had replied to an earlier thread that the 2500+ w/ the
512k L2 cache is better than the 2600+ w/ 256k, but then I found this
article referenced in yet another thread
(http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...xp-3000_2.html),
that seems to indicate that for most applications, the extra L2 cache
doesn't come into play, and so the 2600+ is better. Any thoughts on
that? Am I right in thinking that this is about the processor level
where you get the best bang for the buck?
As for the rest of the system:
I'm doing this for kids' games which won't be too demanding, but would
also like to transfer video to dvd's, and edit video a little on it. I
just bought a 160 gig Maxtor, but other than that, am starting from
scratch. So would appreciate recommendations for:
Case
CPU
MOBO
Graphics Card
DVD Burner: this I might not get right away; any reason to wait (new
developments/significantly lower prices on the horizon?)

Again, looking for the best bang for the buck.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old September 10th 03, 03:31 PM
enigma

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:50:57 GMT, John wrote:

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:14:32 GMT, enigma wrote:

The Biostar M7NCD is a lot less than some others with the Nvidia
nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset; any negatives? Reviews were good at newegg,
but couldn't find it rated at motherboards.org.
Or, is there a
different one you'd recommend for an Athlon XP 2500+ or 2600+, with
eye towards bang for the buck? I may overclock, but haven't done so in
the past, and it wouldn't be necessary. But if it can be done with
stability, why not?
Also, somebody had replied to an earlier thread that the 2500+ w/ the
512k L2 cache is better than the 2600+ w/ 256k, but then I found this
article referenced in yet another thread

CHeck out this article too :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...322034857.html

Thanks much for the feedback and url! Now, for the MB and video card
questions...

Unexpected system switch off Tony Cooper General 3 September 8th 03 06:21 AM
dead win2k system paulwatt General 0 September 6th 03 05:56 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Opnion about buying vs building desktop system Joseph General 3 August 29th 03 02:45 AM
System temps Ed Coolidge General 2 August 20th 03 05:22 AM