XP2500 Barton Overclock Failure

Old March 20th 04, 02:28 PM
Simon Bale

Default XP2500 Barton Overclock Failure

Hi,

I have an XP2500 Barton core CPU and I would like to try and overclock it to
2200Mhz. I have done some initial tests and I can't seem to overclock the
CPU at all. Increasing the FSB by only a few MHz causes windows to fail to
boot. An attempt to clock the FSB to 200MHz results in windows stating that
it can't load several files from the hard disk during the initial stages of
boot up. I realise that using the Via KT600 chipset means that I can not
lock the PCI bus frequency. When I bought the CPU a few months ago I fitted
the heatsink incorrectly which caused several unexpected over-temp
shutdowns. I eventually realised and corrected the problem. The system is
very stable at the XP2500 speed but could the inability to clock to XP3200
speed be a result of damage to the CPU caused by the overheating or is it
more likely that another component is causing the problem.

NB: During the above tests the clock multiplier is set to 11x and the CPU
voltage is set as standard for the XP2500.

My set-up is as follows:

XP2500 Barton, AMD supplied HSF; Asus A7V600-X; 512MB Crucial PC3200 RAM;
Gainward FX5200 GFX.

Cheers, Simon Bale.

Old March 20th 04, 02:35 PM
Thomas

Simon Bale wrote:
[...]

Tadaa... try raising the core voltage.......

Thomas

Old March 20th 04, 02:53 PM
Roger M

Simon Bale wrote:

[...]

I don't know if you can but you need to raise the core voltage. I can't get my
2500 much over it's rated speed at the cpu's default voltages. Right now I have
my machine set at 1.8V core, 210 fsb and 11 multi it's rock stable no problems
at all. I had Kingston ValueRam in it and it wouldn't get over 180 fsb like
that. With HyperX it went straight to 200 with no problem. Right now it'll run
Prime 95 all day with no problem. You will need a better HSF if you plan on
pushing it up though the retail HSF will not keep it cool no matter how much air
you pump through your case.

Right now my set up is an Epox 8RDA+ board Rev 1.1, 768 mb Kingston HyperX
DDR400 in dual channel, Barton 2500+ and a free Antec Super Server case courtesy
of the clueless idiots and Newegg.com. Newegg's a damn good company but they've
got some real dumbf*cks working there.

Roger

Old March 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Ski

Tadaa... try raising the core voltage.......

Thomas

....and disable spread spectrum modulated while you're at it...

I've gotten the 2500 to run at 400fsb with the kt600 chipset in the MSI
KT6V-LSR
with no problems at all...if you don't count using a 60mm-80mm fan adapter and
a soltek 80mm fan on the retail heatsink to get some serious air running around
in there a problem...

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)
Old March 20th 04, 05:30 PM
Augustus

You've got 3200 speed ram, so that's OK. Your m/b whould not be a problem,
and I doubt very much if there's anything wrong with the Barton itself. As
others have said here, vcore should be up to wherever it takes to become
error free on Prime95. For me , that was 1.75 I'd remove the hs/f just to
double check proper contact and paste application.You don't say in your
posts what your CPU external and internal temps are running at stock speed.
Judging from the stability at even mild o/c rates, they sound high. Try
AIDA32 for monitoring core/external after heavy load. Are you using the
stock AMD cooler and do you have case fans installed?

Old March 20th 04, 10:46 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:28:28 +0000, Simon Bale wrote:

XP2500 Barton, AMD supplied HSF; Asus A7V600-X; 512MB Crucial PC3200 RAM;
Gainward FX5200 GFX.

Here's what I'd do.
Make sure you hve plenty of power in your PSU.
Replace the stock HSF with something decent ($8 TR2-M1 should be fine)
Raise vcore to 1.85v
Raise ram voltage by .1 or .2
Slow down ram timings, try CL3.
Set FSB to 200 and give it a try.
Make sure it's using a 6 divider at 200MHz.
If that works, adjust accordingly.

Old March 21st 04, 10:45 PM
Simon J. Bale

I've tried the steps suggested previously and the processor will boot into
windows but crashes almost immediately after a login. Does this indicate
that I have an XP3200 which has been speed binned or is it likely that I
caused damage when I had an incorrectly fitted heatsink.

Are there any other steps that I could try to overclock the device?

Best Regards, Simon Bale.

newsan.2004.03.20.22.47.19.423484@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old March 21st 04, 11:17 PM
Augustus

"Simon J. Bale" wrote in message
I've tried the steps suggested previously and the processor will boot into
windows but crashes almost immediately after a login. Does this indicate
that I have an XP3200 which has been speed binned or is it likely that I
caused damage when I had an incorrectly fitted heatsink.

You've never said what CPU temps you're getting, or type of CPU cooling
you're using or whether you have any effective case ventilation. These
symptoms sound exactly like CPU core overheating.

Old March 21st 04, 11:51 PM
Simon J. Bale

My CPU idle temp is 43C and rises to 54C running the Prim95 torture test. I
have 3x80mm case fans installed and the stock AMD HSF.

Cheers, Simon.

Old March 22nd 04, 12:57 AM
David Maynard

Simon J. Bale wrote:
I've tried the steps suggested previously and the processor will boot into
windows but crashes almost immediately after a login. Does this indicate
that I have an XP3200 which has been speed binned or is it likely that I
caused damage when I had an incorrectly fitted heatsink.

Are there any other steps that I could try to overclock the device?

I don't know much about that board and a quick check for reviews didn't
turn up much either but there are three user feedbacks on Newegg (yours IS
the Asus A7V600-X mentioned below, right?) and one of them had a lot of
problems till they downloaded "better drivers," as they put it, from
--VIA-- (not Asus).

They also settled for a 1.94 MHz at 180MHz FSB overclock on their XP2500+,
which makes me wonder.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=0&section=3

Best Regards, Simon Bale.