Which Athlon XP versions ?

Old August 8th 03, 02:47 PM
sam

Default Which Athlon XP versions ?

I'll soon be recieiving my new MB, the MSI k7n2g, but abit conbfused about
which processor to order. At the moment I just want a cheap Athlon XP cpu,
the following are shortedlisted from www.ebuyer.co.uk

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...rice&order=ASC

As I understand it the thoroughbred core is the newer one, and the one to
go for.

Athlon 2100XP @ £47.07 (code = ADUAX2100BOX)
Athlon 2000XP @ £47.15 (code = AXDA2000BOX)
Athlon 2200XP @ £51.49 (code = AXP2200BOX)

Whats confusibng me is the manufactuers code. Heres a recent posting ;

'When your processor arrives, look at the sticker on it. You should see
codes similar to the following:

AXDA1800 DLT3C 9864586271057 JIUHB 0322 VPMW

If the first characters are AX1800 rather than AXDA1800, then it is a
Palomino, an older version of the chip and it is locked so that you can't
overclock it. If it is an AXDA1800, then it is a Thoroughbred. Look at the
second row where it says JIUHB. The last letter tells you whether it is
Thoroughbred A version or B version (A for A version, B for B version). The
B versions are very good overclockers, so you can probably expect it to run
in 2100 to 2200 Mhz range (2600+ and higher AMD ratings). I've built
several systems using the 1700+ XP processors like this and they have all
run at a FSB of 166 with a CPU ratio of 1300 for an overall speed of 2166
MHz (AMD rating, 2700+).

There are some cases where vendors are actually charging a price premium
for the older Palomino processors. There are some older boards that will
run those processors at full speed, but can't deal with the different
multipliers on the Thoroughbreds. As a result, people with those boards
might pay a premium to guarantee that they're getting a Palomino.'

However the codes for the abvove processors are totally different ; I cant
find any mention of the AXP or ADUAX cpu's, are these different variants?
to be avoided and stick to the CPU with AXDA manufacturer codes?

Old August 8th 03, 04:31 PM
Ben Pope

sam wrote:
I'll soon be recieiving my new MB, the MSI k7n2g, but abit conbfused
about which processor to order. At the moment I just want a cheap Athlon
XP cpu,

Just buy a Barton 2500+ and run it at 3200+ speeds, you won't need to
replace it then. It's about 70 notes including VAT from eBuyer.

Ben

Old August 9th 03, 02:52 PM
Dave

Or go to www.cpucity.co.uk and get a Tbred 1800+ for £45 inc VAT and run it
at XP2700 level.

Dave

news

Old August 16th 03, 01:06 PM
rstlne

Athlon 2100XP @ £47.07 (code = ADUAX2100BOX)
Athlon 2000XP @ £47.15 (code = AXDA2000BOX)
Athlon 2200XP @ £51.49 (code = AXP2200BOX)

However the codes for the abvove processors are totally different ; I

cant
find any mention of the AXP or ADUAX cpu's, are these different

variants?
to be avoided and stick to the CPU with AXDA manufacturer codes?

AX/AXP Athlon XP Palomino Desktop
AHM Athlon 4 Palomino Mobile
AHX/AMP Athlon MP Palomino Server/Workstation
AHL/AXL Athlon Palomino Small Form Factor
AXDA Athlon XP Thoroughbred/Barton Desktop
AXMS Athlon XP Thoroughbred/Barton Mobile 25W
AXMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred/Barton Mobile 35W
AXMH Athlon XP Thoroughbred/Barton Mobile 45W
AMSN Athlon MP Thoroughbred/Barton Server/Workstation
AXLD Athlon XP Thoroughbred Small Form Factor
DHD Duron Morgan Desktop
DHM Duron Morgan/Morgino Mobile
DHL Duron Morgan Small Form Factor