Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro

Old February 15th 04, 02:46 PM
+CrimsonLiar

Default Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro

Ok, so I got my 3D Cooler-Pro, installed it no (major) problems. Now for a
few thoughts:

1) Its expensve
2) It works like a wonder about 7C cooler than my "dremmeled" Volcano 11
(almost as good as my PAL Alpha 8045, but that dont fit on the GA7-NNXP)!
3) Unless Gigabyte re-write the install manual there are going to be a lot
of failed installations and burnt out CPU's
4) Even with the fan adjusted to a really quiet level it still does a
fantastic cooling job.
5) It doesnt interfer with the capacitors around the CPU socket on the
GA7-NNXP.

Reason for no3: There is no "step" on this cooler. Instead there is a small
"lip" that locates between the edge of the CPU and "step" on the CPU socket.
Now, this is all documented in the instructions, but not clearly, and the
photo showing this lip (with its arrow) could be far better.

Crimson Liar

Old February 15th 04, 10:18 PM
jpsga

Crimson .. Thanks for the input. I have been thinking about that unit as I
am running in the low to mid 60° C range.
JPS

Old February 16th 04, 06:59 PM
+CrimsonLiar

Toms has just done a Review of it and its been given a Crap Rating, no
better
at all that a standard heat sink/fan and far to noisy..

I have one but have not fitted it yet..

Hmm, 7C cooler than my modded Volcano 11 on the same motherboard. Those
mods being: Dremmel off the top left hand of the base about 5 mils in at 45
degree angle to make way for the oddly placed capacitor on the GA7-NNXP, and
the use of a converter so i could use a 120mm fan running slower and hence
quieter than the Volcano's stock fan. Regards the noise, I have my main PC
set up for quietness, not overclocking, and even at full speed, with the
case closed the noise from the 3D Pro is not all all annoying.

Dunno, maybe Toms HArdware got a rouge unit.

CrimsonLiar