Source for K6 "Plus" CPUs for diehard 'Super Socket Seven' users

Old November 28th 03, 08:09 AM
R. Asby Dragon

Default Source for K6 "Plus" CPUs for diehard 'Super Socket Seven' users

Agreed; these chips "ain't no great shake" compared to even a Duron if you are
building new.

But if you know about the "last gasp of the K6's / almostAthlons" ; these are
choice -

AMD K6-II+ 550MHz CPU $39.99
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h.cpm.amdk62550.html

AMD K6-III+ 450MHz CPU $59.99
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_comp_amdk63plus.html

Old November 30th 03, 01:05 AM
larrymoencurly

"R. Asby Dragon" wrote in message ...

these chips "ain't no great shake" compared to even a Duron
if you are building new. But if you know about the "last gasp
of the K6's / almostAthlons" ; these are choice -

AMD K6-II+ 550MHz CPU $39.99

I've been looking for some of those chips, but do you know of any
sources that don't charge such absolute rip-off prices? $39.99 is
ridiculous when I can sometimes get a a retail boxed Athlon XP1800+
with heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20, especially when the mobo
can use existing PC133 memory (or PC100 if I underclock by 25%) and is
compatible with older PSUs that don't have that square +12V P4
connector.
Old November 30th 03, 01:55 AM
nobody

"larrymoencurly" wrote in message
m...
"R. Asby Dragon" wrote in message

these chips "ain't no great shake" compared to even a Duron
if you are building new. But if you know about the "last gasp
of the K6's / almostAthlons" ; these are choice -

AMD K6-II+ 550MHz CPU $39.99

I've been looking for some of those chips, but do you know of

any
sources that don't charge such absolute rip-off prices? $39.99

is
ridiculous when I can sometimes get a a retail boxed Athlon

XP1800+
with heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20, especially when the

mobo
can use existing PC133 memory (or PC100 if I underclock by 25%)

and is
compatible with older PSUs that don't have that square +12V P4
connector.

newegg has k6-2 500s for $17 shipped

Old November 30th 03, 06:32 PM
larrymoencurly

;
these are choice - AMD K6-II+ 550MHz CPU $39.99

do you know of any sources that don't charge such absolute
rip-off prices? $39.99 is ridiculous when I can sometimes
get a a retail boxed Athlon XP1800+ with heatsink/fan plus
a mobo for only $60,

newegg has k6-2 500s for $17 shipped

They've since cut it to $16, shipped. Unfortunately, my mobos won't
cache more than either 64M or 255M of main memory, and having any more
memory in the system causes Win98 to slow to a crawl. I'm interested
in the K6-2+ because it has its own L2 cache that can get around this.
Old November 30th 03, 07:19 PM

Thanks, I am familiar with newegg. However, the context of the newegg
mention was for the K6 CPUs not the "I can sometimes get a a retail boxed
Athlon XP1800+ with heatsink/fan plus a mobo for only $20".

I am really keen for a deal that is reasonably close to $20 or even less
than $60.

see sig for unhacking reply-to addy
Bill
To reply, remove all capital letters and dashes.
Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:14 PM
"...they can't stop this thing called Jesus." Big Tent Revival, BTR.
"Genius is 90% perspiration." George Gilder

In , on 11/30/2003
at 10:24 AM, "Kyle Brant" said:

He told you, at newegg, but maybe you did not recognize the site:

www.newegg.com

--
regards,
Kyle
wrote in message
.net...
 $20 - outstanding. where can one these bad boys be had?

 see sig for unhacking reply-to addy
 Bill
 To reply, remove all capital letters and dashes.
 Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:18 AM
 "...they can't stop this thing called Jesus." Big Tent Revival, BTR.
 "Genius is 90% perspiration." George Gilder

 In , on 11/29/2003
 at 05:05 PM,