Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th 07, 03:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Default Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Arfa Daily wrote:

But that's my point. You can't have a 'true' sine-based RMS figure for power
consumers that draw a pulsed current. Just because it is a sine wave that's
*available*, it doesn't mean that the load will draw anything like a
sinusoidal current, from it. The only items that will are those that are
totally 'passive' in nature, such as light bulbs. Even power supplies that
are transformer based, are likely to draw current in pulses from the
available sinusoidal supply, and switch mode power supplies, on which most
modern consumer electronics are based, most certainly won't draw a
sinusoidal current from the supply.

Arfa

ICs to do the true RMS conversion are dirt cheap these days.

http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/34-01/rmsarticle/index.html

http://www.analog.com/en/subCat/0,2879,773%255F866%255F0%255F%255F0%255F,00.html
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.