Still No Cold Boot

Old December 18th 03, 07:08 PM
DFC Racing

At this point what you said makes sense.I'll give it a close look and see
what I find.Thanks for your input!

Bob

"Jerome" wrote in message
Have you visually inspected the motherboard for faulty capacitors?

Visible faults would show either non-flat capacitor tops or
discoloration due to leaking.

This was an old problem with faulty capacitors on many
motherboards that caused problems similar to this. I have a EPoX 8K7A
and a FIC 2013 that show similar symptoms. A reset gets the
EPoX going again most of the time, while a power off/on sequence gets
the FIC going again. Both my boards have bad capacitors - i.e. there is
visible damage showing on the top of some of the capacitors on the
motherboards.

Since your board is only a year or two old, one would think that the
motherboard manufacturers would have corrected the faulty capacitor

problem.

My opinion is that the problem maybe power related, but most likely not
due to the power supply, but due to the motherboard power conditioning
circuitry.

DFC Racing wrote:
I've recently upgraded from my G4 4200ti to a FX 5700ultra and am now
stumped by a constant cold boot problem.The system will not post when

cold
without playing with the reset button and turning off the switch on the
power supply a few times.The monitor light stays orange during the
problem.Once the system boots all is fine until the next
cold boot.My first thoughts were that my generic 550 watt power supply

was
to blame but have since replaced it with an Antec 400 watt.I still get

the
same results. I sometimes get a strange "feedback(static)" type of sound
through the pc speaker(?)
during the problem also if that helps.I've tried a replacement 5700

ultra as
well as a FX 5600 and nothing changes.I'm hoping somebody here can help

me
cure this problem.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Here are the things I've tried so far:
reseating card several times and cleaning slot
disconnected all ide drive power cables
removed 1 stick of DDR and tried each seperately
replacement 5700 ultra and a FX 5600
removed all pci cards
loaded default settings in bios
upped agp and ddr voltage seperately which made system worse/had to

clear
cmos to post
another antec 400 p/s as well as my original 550 watt (Rhycom)
disabled agp 3.0 something or other in bios
None of these things has made an improvement at all but system loads

every
time with old G4 4200ti

System Specs:
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP rev1.0 F14 bios
2600XP
1024mb DDR 333
Asylum FX5700 ultra
Santa Cruz Turtle Beach
80Gb Western Digital
60GB Maxtor
Lite-on 52x32x52
Toshiba DVDrom
Windows XP Pro
Latest 4in1 drivers
53.03 and also tried 52.16 Nvidia drivers
Nothing overclocked