help!!!!

Old June 27th 03, 06:30 PM
MiniDisc_2k2

Default help!!!!

It might not be your drive/driver that has the problem. It may be something
else causing the problem. The only thing I can think of right now is trying
a repair install:

- Put the XP CD in your computer and boot from the CD.Note you may have to
tell your BIOS to boot from the CD before booting from the hard drive.
- When requested, press ENTER to INSTALL XP DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON FOR
REPAIR CONSOLE.
- NOW it will ask you if you would like to repair XP. Select YES.

This will appear to be a normal install of Windows XP (it will look almost
exactly the same as when you installed it the first time), but it's not.
None of your files will be deleted. Windows XP is just refreshing the
drivers, etc. that it installed on it with clean copies.

Also run antivirus. Maybe safe mode prevents a virus from running.

One last option I thought of: Go to start-run type msconfig. Disable an
option to start up with and restart your computer. If you still get the
problem, enable that option and disable a new one. Keep doing this until you
find the problem. This should work.

-- MiniDisc_2k2
To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.

Old June 27th 03, 07:11 PM
nibbles

thanx minidisk, im working on these suggestions now.
there is something i have just noticed though, on the motherboard, a couple
of the capacitors have started to leak from the tops, could this be the end
of a beautiful relationship with my mobo, or does it have anything to do
with the dvd drive problem?

thanx

steve

Old June 28th 03, 12:54 PM
S.Heenan

nibbles wrote:
thanx minidisk, im working on these suggestions now.
there is something i have just noticed though, on the motherboard, a
couple of the capacitors have started to leak from the tops, could
this be the end of a beautiful relationship with my mobo, or does it
have anything to do with the dvd drive problem?

That's bad news. It could very well be a factor in your DVD troubles.
Depending on how old the motherboard is, either RMA it or start shopping for
a new one.

Old June 29th 03, 03:43 AM
MiniDisc_2k2

Agree completely. But note, if you were overclocking, you may not be able to
RMA it.