AIW 8500DV problems recording

Old August 15th 03, 11:49 PM
Jeffrey Harris

Default AIW 8500DV problems recording

I have a Radeon All-in-Wonder 8500DV and am having problems with it. When I
record a program it records the video fine, but there is no sound. I
upgraded MMC to 7.7.0.1 and now I don't even have 'record' in the
application controls.

Can someone please point me to the proper set of drivers/software that will
enable me to record tv WITH sound?

It seems I've had nothing but problems with the AIW drivers and software.
Is this typical of ATI software in general? Or is the 8500DV just a bad
card. I'm seriously considering ditching the card (the tv capture anyway)
in favor of the WinTV card.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

PS. Remove _nospam to reply.

Old August 16th 03, 12:52 AM
Jeffrey Harris

No, I have a dsl connection. I mentioned buying because I thought this was
the only alternative. ati.com mentions needing the original installation cd
for radeon 9000/9200/9500/9600/9700/9800 series. However, looking at the
website again that appears to only be for the DVD module. Will the 7.6 dvd
version work with the newer MMC?

Jeff

"Claw Jammer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Do you know if ATI.com is the only place to buy the CD? I hate the idea

of
buying a CD for $10 and then paying $10 for S&H. Not to mention then

having
to wait two weeks before I get it.

Jeff

I'm not sure, but why buy? Are you a modem user?

Old August 16th 03, 02:27 AM
Claw Jammer

In article ,
says...

I'm seriously considering ditching the card (the tv capture anyway)
in favor of the WinTV card.

Nah...don't do that. I've been looking over some hardware encoded
mpeg2's lately, and I'll stack my digital cable MMC encoded SVCD
captures up against any of them. Once you get the drivers correctly
installed, it should be trouble free. I have an 8500DV, and it works
perfectly.

I would suggest blowing out everything ATI from your add/remove control
panel applet,rebooting as required. Then download Driver Cleaner 1.9
from
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Install it, and use the pulldown menu to select and clean all ATI
categories.

I would really think about upgrading to the new 8.x series MMC, and
installing the new Catalyst 3.6 drivers. Captures have really improved
in the 8.x iteration, and there are some exciting new features as well,
if your CPU has plenty of oomph.

If you haven't done so, you'll need to install DX9. If you use the PAL
format, you might want to wait until Microsoft gets the PAL bug
straightened out of DX9b. If you use NTSC, it won't matter...go ahead
and install it.

Once you've installed DX9, you may then do the following...

Install the WDM capture drivers:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-captu...-10-6207v1.exe

When prompted to reboot, hit cancel.

Install the latest Catalyst drivers:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-...10027c-efg.exe

Reboot when prompted.

Install the Control Panel:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/control-...10027c-efg.exe

Reboot.

Install the DAO/MDAC Component Package:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mmc-8-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe

No reboot required. In fact, the install window just kind of peters out
and that's the end of it...no notification.

Install MMC 8.5:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mmc-8-5-0-0.exe

Reboot as required.

Install the Remote Wonder driver pack, which is exclusive for MMC 8.5

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/remote-w...-5-english.exe

Reboot as required.

You should be ready to go.

And of course, make sure your patch cords are kosher.
Good Luck Jeffrey...let us know how you fair.

Best Regards,

CF

__________________
AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+ Palomino
ESC K7VZA r3
Mitsubishi SDRAM PC133 1024MB
8500DV
MMC 8.5, Remote Wonder 1.5
Omega rad_w2kxp_omega_2474a
Hyperion 4.48
Audigy1 Gamer
Microsoft Windows XP Workstation (Build 2600)
Old August 16th 03, 03:23 AM
Jeffrey Harris

Your instructions worked like a champ. Thanks much for your help.

Subject: AIW 8500DV problems recording
To: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Old October 18th 03, 01:26 AM
tonto

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:12:08 -0500, Claw Jammer
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Your instructions worked like a champ. Thanks much for your help.

Jeff

You bet.

Here's another tip I picked up after several months of experimentation:

If you are capturing mpeg2, turn off the Pulldown feature, and set the
interlace option to "encode interlaced". Unless you are capturing
solely to view on your computer, de-interlacing is not really necessary,
introduces artifacts, and is a waste of CPU. The pulldown hogs CPU time
too. Making these adjustments resolved a problem I was having with
jerky motion.

If you are not using the firewire DV option, you can turn off the DV dip
switches on the card...that'll save some AGP bandwidth.

Hi Claw Jammer.
I've been following this thread because I too am having problems
upgradiing my drivers. I have tried all the drivers on the ATI site,
but have always had to revert to the original CD drivers.
the WDM seem to install ok
the radeon drivers don't want to take after restarting.
I have stripped every ati reference out ot my PC. I've gone into the
registry and removed all ATI Keys, but one, the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\WDMCapture, won't let me
delete that one for some reason.

This all started because every 2-3 months my capture drivers in
Control Panel/System/Hardware would disapear and I would be unable to
capture with MMC 7.x. I'd have to do the ati remove and re-install
thing, so far 6 times.

If you could shed some light this way it's really a dasperate
situation at this point.

Old October 19th 03, 07:36 AM
ClawJammer

In article ,
says...
If you could shed some light this way it's really a dasperate
situation at this point.

That's strange.

If you have a high bandwidth connection, maybe you can try downloading
the full driver suite, at
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-
7-94-030917m-011434c.exe

Or, you could try the new Omega driver suite,

http://downloads.driverheaven.net/om...mega_2496b.exe

You'll need to download WDM drivers seperately for Omega...
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-captu...-10-6217v1.exe

Short of that, I would refer you to the Rage3D forum, where alot of ATI
Gurus and even ATI employees monitor and post.

http://www.rage3d.com/

Let us know how you fair.

Cheers,

CF
Old October 21st 03, 02:45 AM
tonto

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:36:26 -0500, ClawJammer
wrote:

In article ,
says...
If you could shed some light this way it's really a dasperate
situation at this point.

That's strange.

If you have a high bandwidth connection, maybe you can try downloading
the full driver suite, at http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-
7-94-030917m-011434c.exe

Or, you could try the new Omega driver suite,

http://downloads.driverheaven.net/om...mega_2496b.exe

You'll need to download WDM drivers seperately for Omega...
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/tv-captu...-10-6217v1.exe

Short of that, I would refer you to the Rage3D forum, where alot of ATI
Gurus and even ATI employees monitor and post.

http://www.rage3d.com/

Let us know how you fair.

Cheers,

CF

I'm going to give it a rest for a couple of days and get back at it on
the weekend.

Thanks for your response. I've downloaded those drivers and I'll let
you know how it goes.

That forum isn't very good unless you don't have a gamer problem.

DFT
take out the garbage before ypu send out the mail
Old October 21st 03, 05:27 AM
ClawJammer

In article ,
says...
That forum isn't very good unless you don't have a gamer problem.

Here's the AIW forum....

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?s=
6bb0e916dad8db0968af1f37e7d85823&forumid=24