8500DV S/PDIF Sound Output Question.

Old July 24th 03, 09:45 PM
MadCrapper

Default 8500DV S/PDIF Sound Output Question.

I have an 8500DV. On the breakout box there is an output for
S/PDIF. I can not get any sound to come from there when hooked up to
my S/PDIF connection on my stero. I tested the cable using my home CD
player and it worked fine. I haven't found any settings in my Sounds
and Audio Devices applet in the Control Panel to let me change it to
that output.

What I am wanting to do is be able to play MP3's while setting
at my computer and listen to them on my home stero. I have 3 S/PDIF
imputs on my stero.

Can someone please tell me what I might be doing wrong. Or
offer any suggestions to lead me in the right direction. Also, for
what it's worth, I do not have the power connector hooked up to the
video card. I was told that it was for the IEEE-1394 (Firewire) port
and I didn't have anyplans on using it right now so I didn't hook it
up. I don't know if this would have anything to do with not getting
sound from the S/PDIF output.

Thanks again.
Old July 25th 03, 04:27 AM
MadCrapper

I've got the Dolby Digital Reciever part fine.

I don't understand why it wouldn't work. Is it something with the ATI
software? My home CD player has digital coax out and works fine
through it. Although that's what it was designed for. I can't figure
out why when playing MP3's through the ATI MMC it wouldn't output this
sound through the S/PDIF output.

Has anyone else had any success or failures at this?

Thanks for your reply R. J. Salvi

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:29:54 GMT, "R. J. Salvi"
wrote:

It's probably not going to work unless you're watching a DVD with a Dolby
Digital soundtrack through a Dolby Digital compatible receiver or
pre-amp/processor.