BIOS Message

Old May 22nd 13, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default BIOS Message

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:28:32 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 14:16:26 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:38:33 +0200, Carpe_Diem
wrote:

Op 21/05/2013 17:30,
schreef:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 09:49:03 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
During boot, a 3-line message is flashed on the screen which quickly
disappears before I can get a chance to read it, or copy it down. Is
there a way to freeze the BIOS to hold that message on the screen?

Thanks

Big Fred
Press the key labeled "Pause/Break" on the keyboard.
That should stop the scrolling.

Alternately, use a video camera. Or a digital camera.
And take a snapshot of the screen.

Paul
Pause/Break did not work for me. Camera did. Maybe because the
message does not scroll (it is short), just flashes on the screen
for a quick sec.

Thank you.

Big Fred

And what message did the camera show??
EXPRESS GATE IS NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR SYSTEM OR THE INSTALLATION IS
INCOMPLETE
TO GET INTERNET ACCESS WITHIN SECONDS OF STARTING YOUR COMPUTER,
PLEASE USE
EXPRESS GATE INSTALLER TO INSTALL EXPRESS GATE.

WHICH I DID, AND IT DID.

BIG FRED
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop

"Splashtop OS

It boots in about 5 seconds, thus is marketed as "instant-on."

It uses Bootsplash, SquashFS, Blackbox, SCIM, and
the Linux kernel 2.6.

Support for Splashtop OS has been withdrawn and downloads
of Splashtop OS have been disabled on the Splashtop website.

Splashtop features a graphical user interface, a web browser
based on Mozilla Firefox 3.0, a Skype VoIP client and a chat
client based on Pidgin. It also includes Adobe Flash Player 10."

So it's basically like a "browser in a can".

Paul
I will stick with Express Gate right now. Now that I know I have it.
Came with the MOBO at the time. Unless it proves to be a problem
anyway.

Thanks Paul

Big Fred

Express Gate is rebranded SplashTop.

That's why I posted that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop

"Splashtop OS

The first OEM partner for the original Splashtop was ASUS, and
their first joint product was called Express Gate."

So what you've got, is some version of SplashTop OS.

Paul

Paul - this is what I get now from the BIOS start:

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/9853/picture009ybd.jpg

Big Fred

Cool. I've never seen one of those before.

Is the web browser really Firefox 3 ?
Does the "About" thing work when you run the browser ?

That's probably all I'd use there, just the browser.

Paul
Old May 22nd 13, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:38:33 +0200, Carpe_Diem
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

dunno

Does the "About" thing work when you run the browser ?

That's probably all I'd use there, just the browser.

Paul

FYI

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture014kw.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture013rt.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture012f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ure015zap.jpg/

Big Fred
Old May 22nd 13, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:38:33 +0200, Carpe_Diem
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The Firefox rules, say if you compile your own copy, you
can't call it Firefox. I was just curious as to whether
it was named Firefox or not. It would appear SplashTop
use their own numbering scheme.

For example, if I download Firefox source here, and compile
it on my PC with Microsoft Visual Studio type environment,
the browser is renamed "Namoroka". The name changes because
it was a custom compile (I compiled in debug mode).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Namoroka

So maybe the SplashTop people, took the source and made
their own derivative of some sort.

It would be too hard, to write a browser from scratch.

Paul