Cooling device for a 21" CRT ???

Old August 6th 03, 10:28 AM
philo

Default Cooling device for a 21" CRT ???

"TJM" wrote in message
I have a 5-yr. old Sony 21" CRT monitor that I am still pleased with.
However, this monitor produces a lot of heat, so much that it makes my
computer room quite hot in the summer when the A/C cant keep up.

Since I dont want to continue to have huge electricity bills from making

the
A/C run constantly, I was wondering if there is a cooling device designed
for large monitors? It sounds crazy, but I was even thinking of using a
small refrigerator - either using it to collect heat from the monitor via

duct or to actually house the monitor (I would take off the door and
insulate around the edges of the monitor). Putting the monitor inside the
fridge seems risky due to condensation occurring on the monitor components
and shorting out. I can design an insulated duct to wrap around the heat
vents on the monitor, but I dont know how to route the duct to blow hot

air
into the fridge and how it would exhaust air.

Anyone have any ideas, or seen a device that can effectively cool a large
CRT?

get a new monitor , maybe an lcd type

anything you do to cool the monitor will only *increase* your power
consumption

Old August 6th 03, 02:42 PM
Christopher

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 04:28:46 -0500, "philo"
wrote:

"TJM" wrote in message
[...]

But be advised a 21" lcd is at least $4,000.

anything you do to cool the monitor will only *increase* your power
consumption

Clarify, as that statement dosn't make sense?

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"There's a light at the end
of the tunnel" says the optimist.
"It's probably a train coming
stright at us" responds the pessimist.

Old August 6th 03, 03:12 PM
TJM

Get a new monitor that is more energy efficacy or get a bigger air
conditioner.

I should have mentioned in my original thread that getting a new monitor
would only be my last option since I am quite content with this Sony 21" I
have now. As far as getting a bigger AC unit, that would be considerably
more money than trying to design a cheap duct system to carry away the heat.

Get a cheap case fan on top of the monitor sucking air out to flexible
ducting exhausting to a window. Just nuts to do it though.

I thought about this idea as well, but my landlord forbids it. Besides, I
would fear small insects crawling from outside through the duct and building
nests inside my monitor!

Old August 6th 03, 03:14 PM
TJM

get a new monitor , maybe an lcd type

This is the easy, not to mention expensive, solution. When your car has a
leaky radiator, do you just scrap the car and go out and buy a new one?
Please use some common sense.

Old August 6th 03, 03:16 PM
TJM

But be advised a 21" lcd is at least $4,000.

True! If these people want to give me $4000 for a new LCD monitor, I'm all
for it. However, I'd like to design a cooling system for under $100.

anything you do to cool the monitor will only *increase* your power
consumption

Clarify, as that statement dosn't make sense?

I also agree. Using a small duct fan to carry away monitor heat will only
consume about $1.00 of electricity per month. I can afford that....better
than plunking donw $4000 for a new LCD monitor.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old August 6th 03, 03:18 PM
TJM

Be advised that unlike CRTs, you get ALL the display on a TFT, not most
of it. A 17" LCD has nearly the same viewable area as a 19" CRT.

Be advised that I am using all of my Sony's 21" screen except a 1/8" black
border around the edge of the screen. A TFT screen would gain about 1% more
screen space. Big deal.

Old August 6th 03, 03:40 PM
Larc

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:12:31 -0400, TJM pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| Get a new monitor that is more energy efficacy or get a bigger air
| conditioner.
|
| I should have mentioned in my original thread that getting a new monitor
| would only be my last option since I am quite content with this Sony 21" I
| have now.

You can't be blamed for that. I have a 21" Viewsonic CRT that I don't intend to
get rid of as long as it functions. Luckily, mine doesn't produce enough heat
to be a problem.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 6th 03, 06:32 PM
Richard Dower

"TJM" wrote in message
I have a 5-yr. old Sony 21" CRT monitor that I am still pleased with.
However, this monitor produces a lot of heat, so much that it makes my
computer room quite hot in the summer when the A/C cant keep up.

Since I dont want to continue to have huge electricity bills from making

the
A/C run constantly, I was wondering if there is a cooling device designed
for large monitors?

Try this, i have two myself for my monitor...ultra quiet and shifts alot of
heat out of the monitor.

http://www.3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=MonitorCooler

Old August 6th 03, 07:15 PM
Timothy Daniels

"philo" wrote:
"TJM" wrote:
[...]

The last statement is correct. And... putting the monitor in some
kind of refrigerator would only lead to a cooler room if the coils
of the refrigerator were outside the room. A refrigerator/air cond
is only a heat pump - moving heat from one place to another -
and such devices also produce some heat of their own in doing
that work. And... ducting that you would use to lead hot air
away from the monitor and out the window had better be short
and insulated so that its walls don't conduct heat to the air around
it. The best suggestion I've seen would be to have a fan or blower
at the window, exhausting air from the room while sucking cool air
in from another room. What *I* do is to keep a window on both
sides of the room open to allow natural cross-ventilation. Both of
those windows don't have to be in your room. One can be in
another room as long as the air can move through open doorways.

*TimDaniels*

Old August 6th 03, 07:59 PM

My 4 year old 19" monitor quit recently. I know that it put out lots of
heat.

I replaced it with a 17" TFT screen. Lots less heat.

Just before the monitor quit, my 30 year old central air quit. 7 weeks
to get a replacement install date. Outside air temps are runing 80 F
plus, lately with 80% humidity.

I have a put dual window fan (small room size) running on low in the
computer room window exhausting air from the room replacing it with air
from the remainder of the house, cooling the house on the way through.

I also turn on only the peripherals that I need, scanner, printers, etc.

All of this is keeping things in some balance.

TJM wrote:
I have a 5-yr. old Sony 21" CRT monitor that I am still pleased with.
However, this monitor produces a lot of heat, so much that it makes my
computer room quite hot in the summer when the A/C cant keep up.

Since I dont want to continue to have huge electricity bills from making the
A/C run constantly, I was wondering if there is a cooling device designed
for large monitors? It sounds crazy, but I was even thinking of using a
small refrigerator - either using it to collect heat from the monitor via a