A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Printers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Good Quality Paper



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 7th 18, 01:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Gaines
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Good Quality Paper


I want to print some inserts for my Filofax and the normal copying paper I
have is a bit coarse. Normal Filofax paper seems to be around 75 GSM and
has a slightly silky (not quite shiny) surface.

I'm struggling to find paper like that - I want A4 as I print in columns
then cut in half to get A5. All the searches return either pile it high
sell it cheap stuff or photographic quality (too stiff) paper.

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
(President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of the
telephone)
  #2  
Old October 7th 18, 02:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Good Quality Paper

On 10/7/2018 8:18 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I want to print some inserts for my Filofax and the normal copying paper
I have is a bit coarse. Normal Filofax paper seems to be around 75 GSM
and has a slightly silky (not quite shiny) surface.

I'm struggling to find paper like that - I want A4 as I print in columns
then cut in half to get A5. All the searches return either pile it high
sell it cheap stuff or photographic quality (too stiff) paper.

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

If you to to an office supply store like Staples, Office Depot, etc.
check them. They have several different weights of papers. The grade
that we use is for business cards is identified as Card Stock, and the
one we use for brochures is Brochure Stock. Each is slightly different
weight.

There are also several types of surface for the different paper, Matte,
Glossy, Etc.

Take a sample of what your would like and ask a sales person.



--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
  #3  
Old October 7th 18, 08:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Gaines
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Good Quality Paper

On 07/10/2018 in message Keith Nuttle wrote:

If you to to an office supply store like Staples, Office Depot, etc. check
them


Oh my goodness, you mean physically go to a shop, that's really novel now,
I only ever physically go to the petrol station, I'll have to think it
through!

Good idea though, thank you :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap
  #4  
Old October 7th 18, 08:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Good Quality Paper

On 10/7/2018 3:00 PM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 07/10/2018 in message Keith Nuttle wrote:

If you to to an office supply store like Staples, Office Depot, etc.
check them


Oh my goodness, you mean physically go to a shop, that's really novel
now, I only ever physically go to the petrol station, I'll have to think
it through!

Good idea though, thank you :-)

Do you have Staples or Office Depot in the UK?

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
  #5  
Old October 7th 18, 09:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Gaines
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Good Quality Paper

On 07/10/2018 in message Keith Nuttle wrote:

Do you have Staples or Office Depot in the UK?


We have Staples, Office Depot is online only. Nearest Staples is about an
hour away in the nearest big town :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from
now and make a new ending.
  #6  
Old October 7th 18, 10:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Good Quality Paper

On 10/7/2018 4:22 PM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 07/10/2018 in message Keith Nuttle wrote:

Do you have Staples or Office Depot in the UK?


We have Staples, Office Depot is online only. Nearest Staples is about
an hour away in the nearest big town :-)

Many years ago I had to go to Osaka Japan for the company I worked for.
We got in at night. As I got ready to go out the next morning I
speculated on how long I would walk before I saw something obviously
American. It was about 2 block before I saw the first Shakey's Pizza.

It is amazing how uniform our world is becoming.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
  #7  
Old October 8th 18, 04:39 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Eli the Bearded
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default Good Quality Paper

In comp.periphs.printers, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 10/7/2018 3:00 PM, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 07/10/2018 in message Keith Nuttle wrote:
If you to to an office supply store like Staples, Office Depot, etc.
check them

Oh my goodness, you mean physically go to a shop, that's really novel
now, I only ever physically go to the petrol station, I'll have to think
it through!
Good idea though, thank you :-)

Do you have Staples or Office Depot in the UK?


Myself, I'd go to Kelly Paper, but it appears that it is a predominantly
west coast US chain. My nearest one has more paper than you can shake a
stick at, samples of most papers they carry, and staff that is knowledgable
about their products.

Over at Office Depot (slightly closer), there's only a stick-shaking
quantity of paper, and the staff has no idea what any of it is like.

I think you want to find the local equivilent of a Kelly Paper.

Elijah
------
buys plain paper from Kelly or Office Depot, and specialty stuff from Kelly
  #8  
Old October 8th 18, 08:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jeff Gaines
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Good Quality Paper

On 08/10/2018 in message Eli the Bearded wrote:

Myself, I'd go to Kelly Paper, but it appears that it is a predominantly
west coast US chain.


My Filofax was made in England but exported to the USA where it sat on a
shelf unsold. It was one of only three I could find (anywhere in the
world) in the colour I wanted so I took a chance and bought it from a shop
in Studio City, CA, using eBay Global Shipping. I should have asked the
supplier to send some paper with it :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Tomorrow, isn't looking good either.
  #9  
Old October 8th 18, 10:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bennett
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Good Quality Paper

On 10/7/2018 5:18 AM, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I want to print some inserts for my Filofax and the normal copying paper
I have is a bit coarse. Normal Filofax paper seems to be around 75 GSM
and has a slightly silky (not quite shiny) surface.

I'm struggling to find paper like that - I want A4 as I print in columns
then cut in half to get A5. All the searches return either pile it high
sell it cheap stuff or photographic quality (too stiff) paper.

Any suggestions appreciated :-)

Perhaps send a note to the paper company(ies) and ask for advice.
  #10  
Old November 11th 18, 10:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Good Quality Paper

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 12:18:39 Jeff Gaines wrote:


I want to print some inserts for my Filofax and the normal copying
paper I have is a bit coarse. Normal Filofax paper seems to be around
75 GSM and has a slightly silky (not quite shiny) surface.

I'm struggling to find paper like that - I want A4 as I print in
columns then cut in half to get A5. All the searches return either pile
it high sell it cheap stuff or photographic quality (too stiff) paper.

Any suggestions appreciated :-)


For filofax pages the best I could get was from Viking-direct.co.uk.

David

--
David Rance writing from Caversham, Reading, UK
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GOOD NEWS ! DVDS and Software FACTORY SALE! good quality and cheap price! AND FREE SHIPPING! helen Cdr 0 March 20th 08 12:25 AM
GOOD NEWS ! DVDS FACTORY SALE! good quality and cheap price! ANDFREE SHIPPING! helen Cdr 0 November 29th 07 09:43 AM
Canon IP4000R won't print grey in high quality paper and quality settings A Shropshire Lad Printers 26 October 16th 05 09:42 AM
Good source of quality matte paper? chuck Printers 0 November 20th 04 04:20 AM
Problems getting good quality photo prints using coloured paper. jbuch Printers 2 June 2nd 04 04:16 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.