installed new motherboard, now can't see external USB drive

Old May 9th 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

Default installed new motherboard, now can't see external USB drive

Um ... Universal Serial Bus controllers?
"USB" for short?

ok, it has...

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Old May 9th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"dustie" wrote in message
Is this a 2.5" USB drive ?

Hi Paul, it's a 2.0 USB drive that has it's own external mains power
supply.

I've tried disconnecting the internet/modem and trying the PC with only
the external hard drive plugged in via USB yet, it still fails to show
up...

What USB chip on new motherboard? Try removing from Device Manager and
then reboot and allow to detect. INTEL USB may be left from previous
motherboaed.

Mike.

Old May 9th 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

What USB chip on new motherboard? Try removing from Device Manager and
then reboot and allow to detect. INTEL USB may be left from previous
motherboaed.

Hi Mike

Sorry, can you be more specific? Under "USB Controllers" (under Device
Manager) it lists these:

Old May 10th 07, 11:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"dustie" wrote in message
What USB chip on new motherboard? Try removing from Device Manager and
then reboot and allow to detect. INTEL USB may be left from previous
motherboaed.

Hi Mike

Sorry, can you be more specific? Under "USB Controllers" (under Device
Manager) it lists these:

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Remove them all, they will re-install again, hopefully, the correct
driver.

Mike.

Old May 10th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

Remove them all, they will re-install again, hopefully, the correct
driver.

While I'm at it.. In Add/Remove programs, there's an "Intel(R) Pro Network
Adaptors and Drivers" option there which I think was installed with the
original motherboard - is it safe to remove this too?

Also, under Control Panel / Network Connections, there's a "1394 Connection
2" showing up that I believe is left over from the old motherboard that had
a built-in Ethernet connection. Is it safe to get shot of that too? (I've
tried "disabling" it but nothing happens and it stays showing as
"Connected"...

Old May 10th 07, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Hawes

"dustie" wrote in message
news
Remove them all, they will re-install again, hopefully, the correct
driver.

While I'm at it.. In Add/Remove programs, there's an "Intel(R) Pro
Network Adaptors and Drivers" option there which I think was installed
with the original motherboard - is it safe to remove this too?

Also, under Control Panel / Network Connections, there's a "1394
Connection 2" showing up that I believe is left over from the old
motherboard that had a built-in Ethernet connection. Is it safe to get
shot of that too? (I've tried "disabling" it but nothing happens and it
stays showing as "Connected"...

Won't hurt, if they are present they will be re-detected.
Do this from Safe Mode!
Mike.

Old May 11th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_2_]

Did you install the required USB driver off the motherboard installation CD?

--

DaveW

___________
"Dustie" wrote in message
news
hi all

just installed a new MSI motherboard on my PC as the old Intel one fried.
followed the instructions on their site and flashed the BIOS and
downloaded
all the latest drivers. The PC now seems to be working ok and all the USB
ports are working when things are plugged into them, EXCEPT for my
external
250gb hard drive which it just won't "see" at all. I've tried all the USB
ports but no joy. I tried it on another PC and it works fine on there so
I'm stumped as to why it won't work on here anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Old May 11th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 09 May 2007 18:53:09 GMT, "Dustie"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

just installed a new MSI motherboard on my PC as the old Intel one fried. I
followed the instructions on their site and flashed the BIOS and downloaded
all the latest drivers. The PC now seems to be working ok and all the USB
ports are working when things are plugged into them, EXCEPT for my external
250gb hard drive which it just won't "see" at all.

See if Microsoft's USBView.exe utility can see your drive:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/files/USBView.cab

USBView should be able to detect the parameters of any attached USB
component even if its drivers are not loaded.

Among other things, USBView will tell you if the device if self- or
bus-powered, and will indicate its maximum rated current draw.

For example, my 2GB USB flash drive is bus powered and has a rated
current draw of 100mA.

I don't use XP, but I believe XP's DM may also tell you the root hub's
actual current draw.

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 11th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

Did you install the required USB driver off the motherboard installation
CD?

I didn't get a disc with the board at all - I got it off Ebay. I did go to
the website of MSI (the manufacturer) and do all the downloady stuff to
flash the board and get the latest drivers...

Old May 11th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dustie

See if Microsoft's USBView.exe utility can see your drive:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/files/USBView.cab

USBView should be able to detect the parameters of any attached USB
component even if its drivers are not loaded.

Tried it but the external drive remained completely invisible - and also
made the USB cable modem invisible thus killing my net connection. I tried
it again having ONLY the external drive plugged in but still nothing
showing..

Someone has recommended I reload Windows XP over the new motherboard. Would
that really make any difference seeing that OTHER USB stuff works ok?