AGP video card for Dimension XPS Problem

Old February 15th 04, 02:49 PM
angelbear

Default AGP video card for Dimension XPS Problem

Hi,
Computer will not boot up. Monitor was plugged in seperately and
works ok. I need to know about the 2x AGP Video card I have as far
as costs, replacement with something that is compatible. My computer
is a Dell Dimension XPS Intel Pentium II that runs at 100mhz
externally.
Appreciate helping this lady out.
Thanks

Old February 15th 04, 04:02 PM
Flake

Hi,

A 100MHz Pentium II? Did you mean 1000MHz? As far as the video card,
most AGP video cards should work just fine. It just depends on what you
need the video for. For video capture and regular video options, both
ATI and nVidia have video cards that might do. If you want it for
gaming, then a 3D card would be even better. Both ATI and nVidia have
video cards that are good at 3D gaming and do video capture so if you
want something that can do a little bit of both there is a good choice.
If you don't care about video capture or gaming then just about any AGP
card will work for you. To find prices on different video cards, I
suggest that you look at http:\\www.pricewatch.com\ and see what they
have under the video card option.

I hope this helps,

Dan

P.S. - The ATI based cards often go by the name RADEON while nVidia
based cards are often named GeForce.

Old February 15th 04, 04:40 PM
KCB

angelbear wrote:
Hi,
Computer will not boot up. Monitor was plugged in seperately and
works ok. I need to know about the 2x AGP Video card I have as far
as costs, replacement with something that is compatible. My computer
is a Dell Dimension XPS Intel Pentium II that runs at 100mhz
externally.
Appreciate helping this lady out.
Thanks

Ummm, the OP said "runs at 100mhz externally." She's talking about a 100mhz
FSB. It couldn't be 1000 because the Pentium II topped-out at about 450Mhz.
What she needs is an AGP 2X card because the voltages of her motherboard
*may not be* compatible with the newer cards you mention. That AGP 2X spec
was a transition from AGP to AGP 4X and, IIRC, some cards were 3.3 volts and
some were 1.5 volts. To the OP, I think you need to go to dell.com and plug
in your service tag number to find out specifically what your machine is
using. Then you would need to search for a legacy product to fit your
machine, or re-post it here and maybe somebody can help then. HTH

Sound card problem Phileas General 10 May 9th 04 10:55 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Video card memory too low BuDMaN General 4 September 12th 03 01:27 AM
Video Card Overheating? R. Wink Homebuilt PC's 0 July 29th 03 12:49 PM
No video problem Pat Blank Homebuilt PC's 2 July 19th 03 12:21 AM