Good mATX motherboard for Core2Duo?

Old December 23rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
duky

Default Good mATX motherboard for Core2Duo?

So I'm trying to perform a computer revamp, and basically I want a Core
2 Duo instead of the Pentium 4 2.8GHz I have right now. I realize that
I need a new motherboard now the thing is I have an HP Media Center
m1070n and it has a micro-ATX motherboard installed on it. With a new
motherboard I realize I need new RAM etc...... My questions a

1. Does anyone have experience upgrading the HP media centers or just
any brand name computer manufacturer cause one of my friends was
claiming that the motherboard may be bolted in a way that is impossible
to simply remove and insert a new one.

2. Does anyone know of any good micro-ATX motherboards? I preferably
want eSATA capability, integrated 5.1 (or 7.1) analog & digital sound
would be great though I could just get a separate sound card and should
support at least 4gb RAM if possible and obviously should be Core 2 Duo
compatible. Suggestions? And ps. would I need a new power supply? I
don't think I would since more efficient processors should use even
less power and I'm not really changing much else.

It would be great if I didn't need to buy a new case because that would
just add little costs here and there that I don't need to incur. Thanks
a lot for any help anyone can provide in advance,

N.

Old December 23rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

duky wrote:

So I'm trying to perform a computer revamp, and basically I want
a Core 2 Duo instead of the Pentium 4 2.8GHz I have right now.
I realize that I need a new motherboard now the thing is I have
an HP Media Center m1070n and it has a micro-ATX motherboard
installed on it. With a new motherboard I realize I need new RAM etc......

My questions a

1. Does anyone have experience upgrading the HP media centers
or just any brand name computer manufacturer cause one of my
friends was claiming that the motherboard may be bolted in a
way that is impossible to simply remove and insert a new one.

Unlikely. But is there any point in even bothering to reuse that case ?

You limit yourself much less by just buying what makes sense now.

2. Does anyone know of any good micro-ATX motherboards? I preferably
want eSATA capability, integrated 5.1 (or 7.1) analog & digital sound
would be great though I could just get a separate sound card and
should support at least 4gb RAM if possible and obviously should be
Core 2 Duo compatible. Suggestions? And ps. would I need a new
power supply? I don't think I would since more efficient processors
should use even less power and I'm not really changing much else.

Really depends on how puny the current power supply is. It will likely be fine.

It would be great if I didn't need to buy a new case because that
would just add little costs here and there that I don't need to incur.

You're likely to pay more for the other stuff because you limit your
choices when you choose to try and reuse such a limited case.

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can provide in advance,

Old December 24th 06, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

duky wrote:
[...]

The existing board looks pretty standard looking. Your board uses DDR
memory, and for better selection, you might want to buy some DDR2 memory
to replace it. There are a few boards that would use DDR memory, but
those boards would not be overclockable.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c002084 97

If your current case uses a ducted cooler inside the computer csae, then
the position of the CPU socket on the new motherboard, may be critical,
if you want the duct to fit. So check out how your cooler fits first.

Your current power supply is 300W.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

A P4 520 was 84W, and your Core 2 Duo could be less than that.
The "processorfinder" site has the details.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL7KJ
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9S8

This would be an example of an Intel chipset based microATX. Before
buying anything, read the customer reviews for any issues. You can
also download the user manual before you buy, and see what you're getting.
Personally, I like full sized ATX boards, and considering that you
don't get "all PCI" slots now, a larger board can be more important
if you want to get enough PCI slots for whatever you plan to add.
If you don't have any add-in cards, then that is less of an issue.

The latest Southbridge chips from Intel, don't have IDE ports on
them. The IDE port comes from a separate chip. There can be more
issues with a separate chip, in terms of compatibility. A separate
chip may need an F6 installed driver, early in the Windows install.

There are some boards that use the 945 chipset. The Southbridge on
those has one IDE port, which means no driver for the Windows
install (like if you are moving a hard drive and an optical drive
from the old machine, to that ribbon cable). But if you check here,
you can see that the 945GZ is designed for FSB800. FSB1066 is a
chipset overclock, out of the box. So plugging a Core2 Duo into
the 945 motherboards, means the chipset is already overclocked. Not
much of an issue if you are running the processor at stock speeds.

http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/...&culture=en-US

You can use the Newegg motherboard search engine, select LGA775
CPU socket, then select microATX motherboard form factor, to
get a list of 72 boards. But there aren't too many there, that
are "winners on all counts". Maybe I'm too picky. For example,
finding a board that is good, and also has a Firewire chip,
might be tough. And while you can add a Firewire card later if
you need it, on microATX you run out of slots pretty fast.

Paul
Old December 24th 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

Your HP MEdia Center uses PROPRIETARY motherboards, power supplies, etc.
You cannot just install a standard motherboard purchased from anyone other
than HP.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

Old December 24th 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

i would advise that you start from scratch with a new case with the
works. it will cost a little extra but so worth it as you will have no
compatability issues. also on the full size and correct motherboard
the core 2 duo's will greatly overclock from 1.86gz on the E6300 to
around 2.4 - 2.6 with the correct cooling and even further with the
higher spec duo cpu's.

I am not sure what you want to acheive with the upgrade but you may as
well do it right and enjoy it too the max as you will have built a
magical system.

cheers

Old December 24th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

this mobo would be your ideal fullsize ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775
dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready