Gigabyte 965P-DS3 problem with SATAII drive

Old November 2nd 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
liverdonor via HWKB.com

Default Gigabyte 965P-DS3 problem with SATAII drive

haroo

I've got an interesting issue with a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 board and a Western
Digital 2500KS drive (250GB). This board is configured with 2G DDRII RAM and
an Intel Core2 Duo 6600 uP running at 2.4GHz.

The Gigabyte board has two different types of SATA ports: two on its own
proprietary controller and six more that hang off the Intel chip directly.

The strange behavior I'm seeing is this - if I connect the WDC harddisk to
the Intel SATAII ports, the drive appears to work OK for a short while, then
eventually I start getting BSODs which will hopelessly corrupt the disk and I
have to pave and re-install the machine.

If, however, I attach the drive to either of the two ports that hang off the
Gigabyte chip, the whole system appears to slow down slightly, but it's solid
as heck. I'm using this machine now to send this message, and it's been up
and working perfectly for the last three weeks with no BSODs and no strange
event log messages.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Is this perhaps some specific
incompatibility between the WDC drive and the Intel SATAII ports? Or is it a
common issue with Gigabyte boards of this type?

I might want to add more HDs to this box, so I need to know if I can only add
one more or if I can add several more of a different brand, or what.

Thanks in advance,

~LD

Old November 2nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
old man

If I read it right the board has sata3 connectors, you've upgraded any
chipset & other drivers presumably.
I believe some WD disks had issues with controlers that werent of the same
revision as the HD

Old November 3rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
SumGuy[_2_]

[...]

I've got an 965P-S3 and am using 2 WD 2500 KS drives with no problems.

Have you tried changing the SATA port mode and/or checking the SMART status
on the drive?