1 computer with 2 keyboards/monitors/mice

Old December 23rd 08, 04:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default 1 computer with 2 keyboards/monitors/mice

Hello,
Here is the setup I am considering : 1 PC with a monitor, keyboard,
and mouse on 1 side of the desk,
and another monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side for my wife.
Only 1 of us will be on the system
at any given time. If I get a computer with 2 monitor inputs and
wireless keyboad and mouse, will this work OK?
I know most ABs or KVMs are for 2 PCs and 1 monitor, keyboard, and
mouse. Is there 1 that would be necessary in my situation, or
helpful?
Thanks!
Old December 23rd 08, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

J wrote:
Hello,
Here is the setup I am considering : 1 PC with a monitor, keyboard,
and mouse on 1 side of the desk,
and another monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side for my wife.
Only 1 of us will be on the system
at any given time. If I get a computer with 2 monitor inputs and
wireless keyboad and mouse, will this work OK?
I know most ABs or KVMs are for 2 PCs and 1 monitor, keyboard, and
mouse. Is there 1 that would be necessary in my situation, or
helpful?

There is such a thing as a "Reverse KVM." See he
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...everse%20kv m

It just doesn't seem like that good of an idea to me, but I trust you
know what you want.
Old December 23rd 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:43:01 -0800 (PST), J
wrote:

Hello,
Here is the setup I am considering : 1 PC with a monitor, keyboard,
and mouse on 1 side of the desk,
and another monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side for my wife.
Only 1 of us will be on the system
at any given time. If I get a computer with 2 monitor inputs and
wireless keyboad and mouse, will this work OK?
I know most ABs or KVMs are for 2 PCs and 1 monitor, keyboard, and
mouse. Is there 1 that would be necessary in my situation, or
helpful?
Thanks!

Yes if you use a computer with 2 monitor _outputs_ then
whoever is using the system will simply need to set which
monitor is the primary in Display Properties (assuming
windows OS), providing the display adapter driver supports
multi-monitors which it should if it has 2 outputs.

Otherwise, one or both you would would use a USB keyboard
and mouse since there's only one set of PS2 ports (if any)
on a typical PC.

I'm suggesting you need no A/B or KVM to make this work,
though you could use a reverse KVM instead.

You could just be nice to the wife and let her have her own
system instead.
Old December 23rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
jan.pips

Here is the setup I am considering : 1 PC with a monitor, keyboard,
and mouse on 1 side of the desk,
and another monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side for my wife.
Only 1 of us will be on the system
at any given time. If I get a computer with 2 monitor inputs and
wireless keyboad and mouse, will this work OK?
I know most ABs or KVMs are for 2 PCs and 1 monitor, keyboard, and
mouse. Is there 1 that would be necessary in my situation, or

I am not sure how the system will work with 2 mouses & keyboards but with the displays you should
not have any significant problems. Modern Graphic cards have two ports (newest 2 * DVI) so you can
connect them to 2 monitors and setup second monitor to be Clone of the primary. In such case you
will have 2 identical display on both monitors. For keyboard and mouse you may consoder KVM (which
might be costly - depending on model - or introduce more DIY solutions. Two cordless combos and two
USB cables from PC up to the desk (somewhere in the middle). It should work but in case of any
problems you nedd just to plug off one receiver from the cable - not very clean but effective solution.

JP
Old December 24th 08, 11:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_2_]

"jan.pips" wrote in message
Here is the setup I am considering : 1 PC with a monitor, keyboard,
and mouse on 1 side of the desk,
and another monitor keyboard and mouse on the other side for my wife.
Only 1 of us will be on the system
at any given time. If I get a computer with 2 monitor inputs and
wireless keyboad and mouse, will this work OK?
I know most ABs or KVMs are for 2 PCs and 1 monitor, keyboard, and
mouse. Is there 1 that would be necessary in my situation, or

I am not sure how the system will work with 2 mouses & keyboards but ...
snip

I have a PC with two mice and two keyboards and it works how you would
expect (windows vista) - you can use either or both. It can be frustrating
if someone starts using the other mouse/keyboard at the same time!! but
otherwise is an okay setup. The only reason I have this setup is because I
wanted to use a "multimedia keyboard" (usb) and just haven't got round to
unplugging the original.

On this PC the BIOS ignores the USB keyboard if the PS/2 one is plugged in,
which whilst isn't normally a problem is something to be aware of.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old December 24th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Brian Cryer wrote:
"jan.pips" wrote in message
[...]

You set a new standard for laziness.