0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE, Drives Not Showing in BIOS

Old December 30th 05, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Default 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE, Drives Not Showing in BIOS

My machine is down and I'm using one at a different location to post
these questions. I have a few questions. I'll be back to see if I
got any answers in the NG tomorrow. But if anybody wants to call and
help, _Please Do So_ anytime day or night (I go to bed late anyway)
913 766-1899.
{I think I'll be on this for a few days, so if it's in or before
the first week of January '06, if you can help, please call!} Thanks.

AN35N Ultra Shuttle mboard
Award BIOS
Windows XP Home SP1, NTFS file system
3 HD drives and 1 CD/DVD:
120 GB as C boot/system
80 GB as D
160 GB as H

Computer stalled when rebooting, but on forth attempt was successful.
I ran virus scan but it froze late in the scan.
Successfully rebooted and tried to run Checkdisk setting it up to work
on next boot. This was the last time I had normal Windows working.
Checkdisk was stalled when I looked at, perhaps after an hour.

Every time I try to boot, I now get the blue screen 7b stop code
0x0000007B (0xF789E640) (0xc0000034) (0x000000) (0x000000), which I
understand to mean INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE (which is not actually
written with the stop code; I got that string from the MS kb page).

Running CHKDSK from a command prompt in the XP recovery counsel
(booting form CD), I try the option /F , but it says (I think I
remember correctly) that /F was an invalid parameter. I used /R
instead, and it ran through it twice on C drive. It reported fixed
errors.

Q1: Why couldn't I have ran the /F option?

A little on CHKDSK
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/chkdsk.mspx

At this point I was still unable to boot Windows normally.

I experimentally physically replaced the 120 GB drive with a 15 GB
drive I had on a shelf. This drive I know to have a good XP
installation that works with this machine. I got the same error stop
code.

I physically put the original 120 GB drive back in.

I tried to reinstall XP via using the CD, but it's only an upgrade CD
and I don't have my old Windows ME disk. For some reason, install
program didn't find the old XP installation, and it asked for
qualifying media, a ME disk or something similar. I couldn't continue
with the installation.

Looking in the BIOS, Standard CMOS Features,

IDE Primary Master - none
IDE Primary Slave - none
IDE Secondary Master - none
IDE Secondary Slave - 80 GB (and some more characters, don't remember
exactly, but the drive is listed)

Q2: I have my boot drive on Secondary Master, so maybe this is where
the problem is. It doesn't show in the BIOS. All the detections are on
Auto. Should I change something?

Nonetheless, I am able to navigate in the drives via the command prompt
in the recovery counsel.

Q3: Why does the BIOS seem to not detect the drives, but yet I can work
with them via the command prompt?

Q3: When trying to boot via the CD, it gives an option for Windows XP,
and for Windows XP Home. Why does it give two options? I only have
Home. I've been trying both (one, then the next time, the other) with
no luck, but which one should I choose?

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old December 30th 05, 01:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Nehmo wrote:

[...]

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old December 30th 05, 01:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Nehmo wrote

My machine is down and I'm using one at a different location to post
these questions. I have a few questions. I'll be back to see if I
got any answers in the NG tomorrow. But if anybody wants to call and
help, _Please Do So_ anytime day or night (I go to bed late anyway)
913 766-1899.
{I think I'll be on this for a few days, so if it's in or before
the first week of January '06, if you can help, please call!} Thanks.

AN35N Ultra Shuttle mboard
Award BIOS
Windows XP Home SP1, NTFS file system
3 HD drives and 1 CD/DVD:
120 GB as C boot/system
80 GB as D
160 GB as H

Computer stalled when rebooting, but on forth attempt was successful.

Clearly some hardware problem.

[...]

I wouldnt worry about CHKDSK at this stage due to the next bit.

I experimentally physically replaced the 120 GB drive with a 15 GB
drive I had on a shelf. This drive I know to have a good XP
installation that works with this machine. I got the same error stop code.

Likely for the same reason mentioned below.

I physically put the original 120 GB drive back in.

I tried to reinstall XP via using the CD, but it's only an
upgrade CD and I don't have my old Windows ME disk. For
some reason, install program didn't find the old XP installation,

Likely because it couldnt see the hard drive properly.

and it asked for qualifying media, a ME disk or something
similar. I couldn't continue with the installation.

Looking in the BIOS, Standard CMOS Features,

IDE Primary Master - none
IDE Primary Slave - none
IDE Secondary Master - none
IDE Secondary Slave - 80 GB (and some more
characters, don't remember exactly, but the drive is listed)

Q2: I have my boot drive on Secondary Master, so maybe
this is where the problem is. It doesn't show in the BIOS.
All the detections are on Auto. Should I change something?

Yes, try a new cable. Try a different power connector too, the metal
tunnels can open up over time so they dont make good contact.

Nonetheless, I am able to navigate in the drives
via the command prompt in the recovery counsel.

Q3: Why does the BIOS seem to not detect the drives,
but yet I can work with them via the command prompt?

The CD does a rescan for drives above what the bios finds,
do that may well be the reason it sees them when the bios
does with an intermittent secondary master drive.

Q3: When trying to boot via the CD, it gives an option for Windows
XP, and for Windows XP Home. Why does it give two options?

Some stuffup with the install most likely. Maybe as a
result of the attempt at another install which failed.

I only have Home. I've been trying both (one, then the next
time, the other) with no luck, but which one should I choose?

Looks like some hardware problem with the secondary
master drive, either the cable or the power connector.

Old December 30th 05, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

[...]

There is a problem. I would disconnect all IDE devices an leave only 120GB
as Primary Master.
BIOS setting should be:
- Type of fixed disk - Auto
- Access mode - Auto or LBA

Q2: I have my boot drive on Secondary Master, so maybe this is where
the problem is. It doesn't show in the BIOS. All the detections are on
Auto. Should I change something?

Disconnect other disks/CD, check IDE cable, HD jumpers.
Do not overclock anything.

Nonetheless, I am able to navigate in the drives via the command prompt
in the recovery counsel.

Q3: Why does the BIOS seem to not detect the drives, but yet I can work
with them via the command prompt?

Q3: When trying to boot via the CD, it gives an option for Windows XP,
and for Windows XP Home. Why does it give two options? I only have
Home. I've been trying both (one, then the next time, the other) with
no luck, but which one should I choose?

Do you care about files on your hard drives?
If you do, disconnect them all and work with your 15GB drive alone to locate
where problem is.

Old December 30th 05, 11:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

- Rod Speed -
Looks like some hardware problem with the secondary
master drive, either the cable or the power connector.

- Nehmo -
Power. When I switch power connectors and use one coming off the set
going to the working CD drive, the hard drive works and I can boot
Windows. The C drive and the 160 GB drive weren't getting power.

I realized the drive wasn't powering up when I held it in my hand and I
didn't feel the gyro sensation and vibration.

(I made a mistake when I was describing the problem. When I was
navigating using the command prompt, something I'm not used to, I was
actually navigating in the working 80 GB drive - not the C drive as I
had thought. A lot of the file tree is the same.)

Anyway, the bad power lines go directly to the power supply - there's no
possibly-faulty connector-pair in the path. There's just two terminal
connectors on the lines and both don't work. So something must broke (a
connection?) in the power supply.

I could add a jumper or ditch the power supply.

Actually, I haven't yet returned the previous C drive back to its former
place. I still have the 15 GB drive (the spare one I had on a shelf)
working as the boot/system drive. I'm now updating all the software on
it so it'll be ready for the next emergency.

I haven't got the volt meter out yet either. But as long as I had things
working, I thought I'd post before I did anything else.

Thank you, everybody.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old December 30th 05, 06:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
Rod Speed wrote

Looks like some hardware problem with the secondary
master drive, either the cable or the power connector.

Power. When I switch power connectors and use one coming off the
set going to the working CD drive, the hard drive works and I can boot
Windows. The C drive and the 160 GB drive weren't getting power.

Yeah, not an uncommon problem, particularly
with that intermittent result you were getting.

I realized the drive wasn't powering up when I held it in
my hand and I didn't feel the gyro sensation and vibration.

(I made a mistake when I was describing the problem. When
I was navigating using the command prompt, something I'm not
used to, I was actually navigating in the working 80 GB drive -
not the C drive as I had thought. A lot of the file tree is the same.)

Yeah, its easy to get confused when one drive disappears
when quite a bit of the directory tree is similar.

Anyway, the bad power lines go directly to the power supply
- there's no possibly-faulty connector-pair in the path. There's
just two terminal connectors on the lines and both don't work.

Thats unusual. The usual problem is that the metal tunnels
the pins go into in the power connector itself can open up
over time and not make good contact. Unusual to have
both open up at once, tho it can happen if for example
they were used on the same drive which has oversized pins.

So something must broke (a connection?) in the power supply.

Unlikely, the wires to the power connectors are usually
soldered in a big clump just inside the power supply case.

Its certainly possible tho if each wire has its own connection
to the printed circuit board and that has a bad solder joint.

I could add a jumper

Presumably you mean a power splitter.

or ditch the power supply.

Yes, they dont cost that much.

Actually, I haven't yet returned the previous C drive back to its
former place. I still have the 15 GB drive (the spare one I had
on a shelf) working as the boot/system drive. I'm now updating
all the software on it so it'll be ready for the next emergency.

Yeah, certainly handy if the drive is lying around unused
anyway. As those smaller drives often are now.

I haven't got the volt meter out yet either. But as long as I had
things working, I thought I'd post before I did anything else.

Thank you, everybody.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old December 31st 05, 10:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

I probably should wait until I definitively solve the problem before I
post; in that way I wouldn't give so much false info, but reporting
during the troubleshooting process has merits too. You get a better
picture of what I'm going through.

I was wrong about the power being bad. Using a volt meter, all the pins
on all the drive power leads show they are what they're supposed to be,
5 or 12 volts or common.

I modernized the software on the 15 GB drive, the spare one I
previously had out of the computer and the one I'm now running Windows
off of. I had it connected last 14 months ago, and I only did a few
things to it then. It's like looking into the past. Everything's
changed now. Back then, I even used a different boobie picture for the
wallpaper.

But when I tried to connect the previous C drive, a 120 GB, Windows
tried to boot, flashed the first black-background Windows flag screen,
the briefly went to the blue-screen stop (it flashed to quickly to read
the error, then it tried to reboot again. It looks like it would cycle
again and again if it didn't intervene.

I'll have to test some arrangements to be sure about this, but I
mistakenly thought the power lead was bad because I think when the bad
120 GB drive is connected to a power connector, the other connector on
that cable doesn't work.

The 120 GB drive gave some indications it was about to fail:
http://snipurl.com/l6j0 . SIGuardian v 1.7 predicted the drive would
fail, and you, Ron Speed, said the Seek Error Rate was high. I was
sort-of preparing for the drive to fail, but it didn't, so I took my
guard down some as time went on. Anyway, there's no tragic data loss.

Now I'm running with the 15 GB (master-jumpered on the center connector
of an ATA ribbon) as the system/boot, and the 80 GB (slave-jumpered on
the end connector of the same ATA ribbon) as additional storage.

Next, I'm going to put in the 160 GB drive.

After that, I'll see if I can hook up the old 120 GB, the previous C
drive, so I can get some of the recent files. But if I can't get them,
it's no big deal.
--
(-) Nehmo (-)

Old December 31st 05, 06:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Nehmo wrote

I probably should wait until I definitively solve the problem
before I post; in that way I wouldn't give so much false info,
but reporting during the troubleshooting process has merits
too. You get a better picture of what I'm going through.

And makes it less likely that important info isnt reported.

And the evidence may point to a problem you havent considered too.

I was wrong about the power being bad. Using a volt meter,
all the pins on all the drive power leads show they are what
they're supposed to be, 5 or 12 volts or common.

Its starting to look like it might be a bad power supply.

I modernized the software on the 15 GB drive, the spare
one I previously had out of the computer and the one I'm
now running Windows off of. I had it connected last 14
months ago, and I only did a few things to it then. It's like
looking into the past. Everything's changed now. Back then,
I even used a different boobie picture for the wallpaper.

But when I tried to connect the previous C drive, a 120 GB,
Windows tried to boot, flashed the first black-background
Windows flag screen, the briefly went to the blue-screen stop
(it flashed to quickly to read the error, then it tried to reboot again.
It looks like it would cycle again and again if it didn't intervene.

You can disable that behavior in XP if you can get it to boot.

I'll have to test some arrangements to be sure about this,
but I mistakenly thought the power lead was bad because
I think when the bad 120 GB drive is connected to a power
connector, the other connector on that cable doesn't work.

OK, a drive that is taking too much power can shut the power supply down.

That might just be a bad power supply, its too
sensitive and shuts down when it doesnt need to.

I'd definitely swap the power supply, that may be all it is.

The 120 GB drive gave some indications it was about to fail:
http://snipurl.com/l6j0 . SIGuardian v 1.7 predicted the drive would
fail, and you, Ron Speed, said the Seek Error Rate was high. I was
sort-of preparing for the drive to fail, but it didn't, so I took my guard
down some as time went on. Anyway, there's no tragic data loss.

Now I'm running with the 15 GB (master-jumpered on the center
connector of an ATA ribbon) as the system/boot, and the 80 GB
(slave-jumpered on the end connector of the same ATA ribbon) as
additional storage.

Next, I'm going to put in the 160 GB drive.

After that, I'll see if I can hook up the old 120 GB,
the previous C drive, so I can get some of the recent
files. But if I can't get them, it's no big deal.

I'd definitely try another power supply since you did
prove that at least one drive wasnt spinning up at all.
Its quite possible the current supply shut down then.