Ghost 2003 +Silicon Image Sil0680card

Old October 6th 03, 04:18 PM
Rosie

Default Ghost 2003 +Silicon Image Sil0680card

I'm hoping someone can help me here please.
I'm using XPHome + SP1 and the 0680 Ultra ATA controller card. I have 2
Maxtor drives one each on primary and secondary channels on the card,
set as NTFS. CPU is an XP1700+ running at 1750mhz with 512mb RAM. This
works OK with Drive Image 2002 except transfer rates are only about
200mb/min. I have now got Ghost 2003 in order to try to see if I can
better this rate but when I select a partition to image I get a message
about firewire and USB printer needing attention. It doesn't seem to
seeing the destination drive (I tried DVD and as file on partition on
second disc) but no joy.
I'm wondering if I need extra drivers for the Sil0680 card? In advanced
settings I did an auto check for ASPI drivers which were not found, but
I thought XP already had them? Do I need to add these?
Thanks for any help.
--
gillie
Old October 6th 03, 05:49 PM
John

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

The ST Lab card with the Sil0680 chip is a piece of ****. So if you bought
the ST LAB version, try to take it back now, and get something else. If you
can't return it, the following info may help you:

DOS DRIVERS:

Ghost will only run slowly (200MB/sec instead of 2,000MB/sec)
until you load the DOS driver in the CONFIG.SYS file.

The DOS driver for ST LAB PCI ATA 133 IDE controller card is
called "SII680.SYS". I put the file into the A:\ folder on my ghost boot
floppy added a line to load it in the CONFIG.SYS file (more info below).

I got the "SII680.SYS" file from the DOS boot disk on the
SiliconImage website (http://www.siliconimage.com) for the
680 controller chip. The "CONFIG.SYS" file on that boot disk
had the following line to load the driver:

device=sii680.sys /D /E /A

The above information is only relevant to DOS partitions. There are
other drivers for Win98, WinXP, etc.

DRIVE DETECTION DELAY IN BIOS AT BOOT TIME

I tested the delay caused by the card at boot time:

No Drives - 7 secs
One HDD on Primary Master or Slave - 7 secs
One CDROM on PrimaryMaster - 16 secs!!!

KNOWN PROBLEMS WITH THE ST LAB CARD
-----------------------------------

* Ghost runs slow unless the options shown above are used with
the driver
* standard IDE cables won't fit on the card because they hit the
adjoining PCI card
* Motherboard Monitor crashes when you first boot WinXP to
install the ST Lab WinXP driver
* can't see both the Pioneer DVD106S and LiteOn 48x40x12 burner
when they are on the same cable on this card
* PC crashes on bootup while loading SII680.SYS if a hard drive
jumpered as master is attached to the motherboard secondary
controller (at the time I had no drives on the ST Lab card)
* the bios on the card is not flashable (no updates possible ever)

Old October 6th 03, 07:41 PM
Rosie

In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

Not a problem, I have the Silicon Image own card.

DOS DRIVERS:

Ghost will only run slowly (200MB/sec instead of 2,000MB/sec)
until you load the DOS driver in the CONFIG.SYS file.

The DOS driver for ST LAB PCI ATA 133 IDE controller card is
called "SII680.SYS". I put the file into the A:\ folder on my ghost boot
floppy added a line to load it in the CONFIG.SYS file (more info below).

I got the "SII680.SYS" file from the DOS boot disk on the
SiliconImage website (http://www.siliconimage.com) for the
680 controller chip. The "CONFIG.SYS" file on that boot disk
had the following line to load the driver:

device=sii680.sys /D /E /A

The above information is only relevant to DOS partitions. There are
other drivers for Win98, WinXP, etc.

I checked the web site, they say I don't need DOS drivers for XPHome?
Obviously I have the XP driver but I can't work out which the latest one
is. I have v1.0.17.
I'm not sure if/why I might need DOS drivers though.

DRIVE DETECTION DELAY IN BIOS AT BOOT TIME

I tested the delay caused by the card at boot time:

No Drives - 7 secs
One HDD on Primary Master or Slave - 7 secs
One CDROM on PrimaryMaster - 16 secs!!!

I have now made some progress since I posted. I have imaged a partition
to DVD+RW but it was slow (90-100mb/min) with Pioneer 106 presumably as
the 106 burns DVD+RW at x2.5 When the system rebooted, I got a blue
screen with an error pointing to pnp680r.sys, looks like Sil Image
related. Any ideas?
Thanks for the speedy response.
--
gillie
Old October 7th 03, 08:07 AM
V@W

Buy an adaptec 1200A

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

Old October 7th 03, 02:43 PM
John

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

I am using Ghost 2002 (7.5). I am booting using a DOS floppy, and running
GHOST from a GHOST floppy.

I believe with Ghost 2003, you tell it what you want it to do, then it
reboots the PC in DOS mode to perform the operations? (like PartitionMagic?)

I'd say that when it reboots to DOS mode, there are no DOS driver for the
Silicon Image card loaded.

If you can't ghost at over 200 (drive to drive, or partition to partition),
it's because the DOS drivers aren't loaded.

Try booting from a DOS boot floppy with the DOS drivers on it, then run
Ghost from a Ghost floppy. That should get you more like 2,000 MB/min
instead of 200MB/min. If that works, you can start to investigate how to get
XP to load the DOS drivers when it reboots to DOS mode.

Sorry, I have no idea about your blue screen problem.

I've had a lot more problems with this Silicon Image controller than I ever
had with Promise controllers.

Good luck.

Old October 7th 03, 05:43 PM
Rosie

In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

I like the sound of that!

The DOS driver for ST LAB PCI ATA 133 IDE controller card is
called "SII680.SYS". I put the file into the A:\ folder on my ghost boot
floppy added a line to load it in the CONFIG.SYS file (more info below).

Do I _only_ need SII680.sys or do I need to unzip 0680a dos-image.zip
and add all files to a floppy? I did unzip to a floppy but then my
system failed to read the disc, but if I use a Win 98SE floppy it will
see it.
Perhaps I can add SII680.sys to the 98SE floppy and add the line below
to config.sys?
I got the "SII680.SYS" file from the DOS boot disk on the
SiliconImage website (http://www.siliconimage.com) for the
680 controller chip. The "CONFIG.SYS" file on that boot disk
had the following line to load the driver:

I'm wondering if I get the wrong file? I got 0680a dos-image.zip

device=sii680.sys /D /E /A

The above information is only relevant to DOS partitions. There are
other drivers for Win98, WinXP, etc.

Thanks for your help John.
--
gillie
Old October 8th 03, 05:16 PM
Rosie

In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm having trouble getting the system to boot from a floppy. It _will_
boot from a 98SE disc or a floppy formatted with system files in XPHome
but if I unzip 0680_dos.zip to a floppy then try to boot from it I get
"Remove disks or other media, press any key to reboot".
I tried unzipping the zip file to a hard drive then copying all files to
floppy except io.sys and command.com. This time the system will boot
from floppy and I can go through the options ,selecting
Device=Sii680.sys etc. but after the last option question I get "The
following file is missing or corrupted: command.com. Type the name of
the command interpreter (e.g. C:\windows\command.com). Whatever I type
in here I get the same message and need to reboot. I also tried using
the command.com that came from the .zip file but I got the same message.
So, I'm stuck there right now and I suppose I could e-mail Silicon Image
again (no answer last time).
Thanks for any suggestions.
--
gillie
Old October 8th 03, 05:23 PM
John

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

Here's the lines that are in my CONFIG.SYS file on my Win98 boot floppy.
I've emailed you the DOS driver file for the Silicon Image controller (it's
the one that I use, just check your email). Cya

[menu]
menuitem=SETUP_CD, Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM.
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menudefault=SETUP_CD,30
menucolor=7,0

[SETUP_CD]
device=himem.sys /testmemff
device=oakcdrom.sys /Demcd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /Demcd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /Demcd001

[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmemff
device=oakcdrom.sys /Demcd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /Demcd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /Demcd001
REM next line added by me for ST LAB ATA/133 Controller Card
device=sii680.sys /D /E /A

[NOCD]
device=himem.sys /testmemff
REM next line added by me for ST LAB ATA/133 Controller Card
device=sii680.sys /D /E /A

[COMMON]
files=60
buffers=20
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

Old October 8th 03, 05:31 PM
John

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

See my other post.

Old October 8th 03, 05:34 PM
John

"John" wrote in message
u...

"Rosie" wrote in message
In message , John
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message
[...]

I should have mentioned, all you need is to copy the sii680.sys driver file
on to the Win98 boot floppy
and then add the "device=sii680.sys /D /E /A" line to correct place (or
places) in the CONFIG.SYS file
on that floppy (see previous post - I added the line twice to my CONFIG.SYS
file - see above)

Cya