Raid controller killed my HDDs

Old September 16th 04, 10:33 PM
Michael Url

Default Raid controller killed my HDDs

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

Thanks
Miles

Old September 16th 04, 11:09 PM
CJT

Michael Url wrote:
Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

Thanks
Miles

I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
cooled?

Old September 16th 04, 11:43 PM
Shep©

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:19 GMT Humanity I love.It's just people who
**** me off ;-) Michael Url wrote :

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

Thanks
Miles

I tried one of them.They are ****.Wrong BIOS architecture.
Don't know if you can recover :/

Ich versuche und erinnere mich, an was ich tat, um meinen Antrieb zu
speichern

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old September 17th 04, 12:04 AM
kony

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:19 GMT, Michael Url
wrote:

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

First, does the SI Manager Application (or whatever it's
called) (if you're running Windows), reveal anything?

Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics?
When you installed another drive, it not working either,
does it mean you also tried these drives on another
controller?

Are you placing the DVD and HDD on opposing channels? If
so, try the HDD on the other channel, with DVD removed,
and/or try the DVD on other channel.

Or, just toss the card, they're only worth about $15. FWIW,
i have a couple SI 0680 cards and never had a problem,
though they do seem slightly slower than competitors
offerings.
Old September 17th 04, 06:21 AM
Michael Url

CJT wrote:

Michael Url wrote:

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon
Image SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a
DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because
I want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed
another HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

Thanks
Miles

I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
cooled?

Yes, the system is cooled properly (3 fans,...) And it was working about
1 year without a problem!
The 2nd IDE Controller (where the DVD is connected) is working fine?!?
I don't want to try the 1st Connector, because I've already lost 2
drives! Maybe it has an electrical fault? But how can i test it?

Old September 17th 04, 06:46 AM
Michael Url

wrote:

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?

First, does the SI Manager Application (or whatever it's
called) (if you're running Windows), reveal anything?

no it doesn't recogize any drive at boot, the controller is searching
for the drive (about 20sec) then it doesn't find one and continue with
booting!
(neither the 'normal' onboard controller)

Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics?

yes, i tried it! The DFT is also searching for the drive, but it doesn't
find it!

When you installed another drive, it not working either,
does it mean you also tried these drives on another
controller?

the other drive was an another controller, the I want to be sure what
part of them is faulty, und plugged it on the SiS Controller -- killed
it too :-(

Are you placing the DVD and HDD on opposing channels? If
so, try the HDD on the other channel, with DVD removed,
and/or try the DVD on other channel.

Yes they are on different channels! I don't want to loose also the
DVD-drive?!

Or, just toss the card, they're only worth about $15. FWIW,
i have a couple SI 0680 cards and never had a problem,
though they do seem slightly slower than competitors
offerings.

It was working for half a year without any problem, only since I've
installed a drive of my friend, then disaster started
And the problem is not the card, the problem are the HDDs, are they
really dead?

Any solution?

Thanks
Miles
Old September 17th 04, 06:48 AM
Michael Url

Eric Gisin wrote:

More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the power.

no, I change the cable, tried another IDE channel, nothing, the other 2
drives and the DVD are still working!

Old September 17th 04, 07:44 AM
CJT

Michael Url wrote:
CJT wrote:

Michael Url wrote:

[...]

A multimeter could tell you if there is excess voltage on any pin.

However, it might make more sense just to replace it.

Old September 17th 04, 08:09 AM
JS

Michael Url wrote in
news
Eric Gisin wrote:

More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the
power.

no, I change the cable, tried another IDE channel, nothing, the other
2 drives and the DVD are still working!

Try a suspect drive on a known good interface.
Old September 17th 04, 11:20 AM
Michael Url

CJT wrote:
Michael Url wrote:

CJT wrote:

Michael Url wrote:

[...]

The problem isn't the controller (I don't need it any more)
The question is: "How can I save my HDDs?"

What are the advantages of RAID setup? Rich General 5 February 23rd 04 09:34 PM
Raid 10 - controller card recommendations? and where to buy? Alien Zord General 1 January 31st 04 12:55 AM
PCI RAID controller? @drian General 4 November 10th 03 12:30 AM
Incompatible RAID controller? @drian General 1 November 9th 03 08:38 PM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM