Protable USB hard disk

Old July 30th 04, 07:46 PM
ma

Default Protable USB hard disk

Hello,

I have a P3 laptop date back in 2000. It has 10 G HDD and it is nearly
full. I am looking to buy a USB hard disk to add some storage to my laptop.
I have a PC and I need to transfer data between the two systems most of the
time. I have some questions that you may help me:

1- is it a good idea to buy a USB hard disk for this purpose?

2- Can I install software on it? If yes can I run these software when I
connect it to my PC? Some software change parameters in registry and hence I
think it is not possible to install software on a portable hard disk.

3- Can I boot from this hard disk?

4- Is the hard disk (2.5") in a portable hard disks the same as the hard
disks that is used in laptops? I may want to change my laptop hard disk with
the hard disk inside one of these systems. Can I do this?

Any other suggestion?

Best regards

Old July 30th 04, 08:48 PM
Impmon

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:46:35 +0100, "ma" wrote:

Hello,

I have a P3 laptop date back in 2000. It has 10 G HDD and it is nearly
full. I am looking to buy a USB hard disk to add some storage to my laptop.
I have a PC and I need to transfer data between the two systems most of the
time. I have some questions that you may help me:

1- is it a good idea to buy a USB hard disk for this purpose?

Yes.

2- Can I install software on it? If yes can I run these software when I
connect it to my PC? Some software change parameters in registry and hence I
think it is not possible to install software on a portable hard disk.

Yes.

3- Can I boot from this hard disk?

Depends on the laptop's BIOS but your laptop may not be able to boot
from USB drives.

4- Is the hard disk (2.5") in a portable hard disks the same as the hard
disks that is used in laptops? I may want to change my laptop hard disk with
the hard disk inside one of these systems. Can I do this?

Usually. All USB drives I've checked are IDE drives with USB to IDE
interface. In some cases, the USB interface may be coded only for
certain hard drive it comes with and not work with your 10GB hard
drive.

--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Old August 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Eric Gisin

Why should anyone support Apple? Do you like being locked into a proprietary
DRM audio format that Jobie refuses to licence?

"Ray Silva" wrote in message
Get an IPod instead

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 05:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
Partitioning a hard disk James D General 4 September 4th 03 05:12 AM