640x480 on 20" flat-panel displays?

Old January 20th 05, 02:18 PM
David Ellis

Default 640x480 on 20" flat-panel displays?

I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes? Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.
--David
Old January 20th 05, 02:42 PM
Peter Strömberg

David Ellis wrote in
:

I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes?
Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.

Every LCD display I've look at can do 640x480 - but the image is scaled /
streched to the native resolution.

--
Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04
Old January 20th 05, 03:22 PM
John

"Peter Strömberg" wrote in message
. 4...
David Ellis wrote in
:

I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes?
Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.

Every LCD display I've look at can do 640x480 - but the image is scaled /
streched to the native resolution.

Yes thats right... I have three flat panels here, they vary from 15" to
21", but they all do 640x480. The native resolution may be much higher than
640x480, but I have never seen one that won't do 640x480 and lets face it,
it wouldn't me much use without such support, especially in some games and
in bios etc...

Old January 20th 05, 04:50 PM
Benjamin Gawert

David Ellis wrote:

I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes? Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.

I don't know on what displays You looked at, but every somewhat modern flat
panel display does resolutions below its native resolution quite well...

Benjamin

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old January 21st 05, 12:14 AM
David Ellis

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I should have mentioned the
display of interest is an Apple Cinema 20". I had seen posts claiming
it will not display 640x480. Articles claimed it would not show
anything on screen until Windows started. Any truth to that claim?
--David

Old January 21st 05, 03:31 AM
HockeyTownUSA

"Villain" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:18:24 -0800, David Ellis
wrote:

I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes? Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.
--David

I have a Dell 2001FP, I dual boot 2 WinXP Pro OS's. The BIOS and the
Boot GUI look fine. In fact the native res on this panel is 1600x1200
and I run my desktop at 1280x1024 `cause I can't effing *see* well
enough to operate at 16x12 Of course at 12x10 res there is a
*slight* loss of quality, but this panel scales really well.

Hope this helps.

Villain

I agree. Have had my 2001FP for nearly a year now and I DO run it at
1600x1200, but BIOS and bootup look fine at 640x480, or whatever resolution
native DOS runs at. Games scale just fine to 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960.

Speaking of which, if you are trying to switch to 1280x1024 and you notice a
silght loss of quality, try 1280x960 since it is the same ratio (4:3) and it
looks pretty good on my monitor. 1280x1024 does tend to stretch the image
slightly to fit in the 1600x1200 frame. I find that 800x600 and 1024x768
scale the best on this monitor however.

As crazy as it sounds, it seems like a 23 inch or bigger monitor is needed
to get a useable 1600x1200 resolution, however I've grown to like mine at
this res. As soon as dell offers the 2301FP I'm game for an upgrade

Old January 21st 05, 10:20 AM
Richard Cavell

On 21/1/05 1:18 AM, David Ellis wrote:
I know this is a video board forum, but does anyone know what folks
buying these larger flat panel displays do when they wanto view BIOS
or "Last known good ... " on a PC?. What if you're booting multiple
OSes? Most displays i've looked at run at only the higest resolution;
none, so far, that will display 640x480.
--David

They'll display it. They might crop the image a bit and they'll very
likely stretch it, but it'll appear. My BIOS startup appears on a 19 inch.
Old January 21st 05, 03:14 PM
Andrew Rossmann

In article , David Ellis No
spam says...
Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I should have mentioned the
display of interest is an Apple Cinema 20". I had seen posts claiming
it will not display 640x480. Articles claimed it would not show
anything on screen until Windows started. Any truth to that claim?

Ahhhh. Apple stuff is weird. According to Apple's own specs, 640x480
may not be supported:
http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

It shows native resolution at an oddball 1680x1050, with 1280x800 and
1024x640 as alternates.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old January 21st 05, 03:19 PM
David Ellis

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:31:14 -0500, "HockeyTownUSA"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

What's the viewing angle of the 2001FP? Do you use it for precision
color work, such as pre-press?
--David