vetical lines on screen with AIW 9800 pro -pls help

Old September 21st 04, 02:29 PM
Jason Rhodes

Default vetical lines on screen with AIW 9800 pro -pls help

HI- My problem is this:

Sometimes when playing a game, my screen will suddenly be filled with many
colored vertical lines. I can barely make out what should be on the screen
through this mess of vertical lines but the only way to fix this is to
reboot the computer. Cycling the monitor power, unplugging monitor cables
and plugging them back in, or exiting the game to return to windows do not
help, I have to restart.

The catch is that I had this problem about 2 months ago with an AIW 9800
Pro. I returned it to ATI for warranty service (no questions asked by ATI
since this seems to be a known problem listed on their website). They sent
me back another AIW 9800 pro (different serial number). It worked fine for
about a month, and now the problem has returned.

Could it be that I just got 2 faulty cards and need to return this one as
well or is it possible that another system component is causing this problem
instead of the video card?

If it helps:

AMD athlon XP 2100+, Soyo dragon MB, 756MB ram, Maxtor 40GB & 120 GB hard
drives Windows XP pro

Thanks for any help,

Jason