monitoring video displays

Old March 17th 04, 03:09 PM
H Brett Bolen

Default monitoring video displays

Is there a way for the computer to determine if the video display
is working. I'm writing a program to query different pieces of
hardware and would like to query the monitor to see if it is
working.

I've seen a way using the 'read-edid' program ( (E)DID over
VBE/DDC) to query it for data. An error occurs if the monitor
is off. This might not be suitable for ongoing monitoring
thought -- there are warnings that it might not work ( or
worse).

The systems I'm monitoring are using ati cards using xfree86
under redhat (7.3 or 9.0).

If there is a method that works under a different operating
system, then let me know. I will look into making it work
with my systems.

Old March 18th 04, 04:06 AM
JT

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:09:53 GMT, H Brett Bolen
wrote:

Is there a way for the computer to determine if the video display
is working. I'm writing a program to query different pieces of
hardware and would like to query the monitor to see if it is
working.

I've seen a way using the 'read-edid' program ( (E)DID over
VBE/DDC) to query it for data. An error occurs if the monitor
is off. This might not be suitable for ongoing monitoring
thought -- there are warnings that it might not work ( or
worse).

The systems I'm monitoring are using ati cards using xfree86
under redhat (7.3 or 9.0).

If there is a method that works under a different operating
system, then let me know. I will look into making it work
with my systems.

You can find out if the monitor is connected, turned on, and some
specifications. It could be a completely blank screen, and you would never
know. Common failures, such as poor focus or one color gun dead will not be
detectable.

Best you can do with software on a PnP monitor is check that yeah, there
is a monitor connected, and these are its reported specs.

JT
Old March 18th 04, 03:40 PM
H Brett Bolen

wrote:

[...]

I'm aware that there can be no way of being 100% sure that the
monitor is displaying data correctly, but I'd like a quick
way to determine if one is connected. Doesn't some BIOSes
detect if there is no vga present on boot?

Is there a method to determine if the monitor is online ( say,
it thinks it is working)?

thx
b\375

Video problems? Kedrid General 0 February 11th 04 07:32 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Where to get replacement video card fan? Or maybe just use a heatsink? Vanguard General 3 September 20th 03 07:24 PM
Nforce 2 onboard video - hows it compare to a Geforce 2 GTS card? kony General 1 August 31st 03 07:30 PM
dual video, xp, and software paranoid General 1 August 26th 03 04:43 AM