Maxtor 6Y120M0 SATA HDD on ASUS A7N8X DELUXE problem

Old October 28th 03, 12:08 PM
stanko

Default Maxtor 6Y120M0 SATA HDD on ASUS A7N8X DELUXE problem

I have Maxtor 6Y120M0 SATA HDD on ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, NFORCE 2 mbo and
SiL 3112 SATA Raid controller (Ver. 1.0.0.22) and one unusual problem.
Wheel everything works fine 2 or 3 day and one time when I power on my
computer windows blue (error) screen splashes and tell me something
like "UNMOUNTABLE DRIVE"
I restart my computer but error is there again.
No big deal, I was think, I booted my comp. from XP CD ROM, then chose
repair, start chkdsk and chkdsk find some problem and repair them,
after that windows booting normally and everything works fine, I'm
been very happy thinking that my problem is past, but after one day my
problem is back and again windows blue screen splashes and said
"UNMOUNTABLE DRIVE"...
I resolve problem again and try update Sil driver, tomorrow when I
power on my computer windows is booted but on booting process message
appears something like "boot.ini problem" or something, I try to
access boot.ini file after windows starts and no any problem I see in
this file...
Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

P.S. sorry for my poor English ...
Old October 29th 03, 07:12 PM
Ben Pope

stanko wrote:
[...]

But I would recommend BIOS of at least 1004 (might as well whack 1007 on
there) and .32 drivers. It's a good starting point.

www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html#BIOS

There were some known corruption problems (in RAID admittedly) with earlier
versions of the BIOS, and the SATA Firmware of version 4.1.50 has been
known to fix single drive corruption problems. BIOS 1007 includes 4.2.27.

P.S. sorry for my poor English ...

What poor English?

Ben

Old October 31st 03, 05:03 PM
Steve Carter

"stanko" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Stanko,

Have you made the registry change necessary to enable 48 bit LBA? See he

If not, you may get data corruption.

Also, get Maxtor's diagnostic utility here

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...m?powermax.exe,,

and run it. If it returns an error code, return the drive.

SBC

Old November 3rd 03, 11:40 AM
stanko

Ben and Steve,

I will try to update bios, thanks Ben for the good link and good FAQ.
Steve, I was read article about 48 bit LBA but I think that this is
not my problem because my disk is 120GB, anyway I will install SP1 for
XP and if I understood good this will enable 48 bit LBA support by
default?

Thanks anyway for interesting about other people problems and helps
him.

Stanko
Old November 3rd 03, 12:25 PM
Ben Pope

stanko wrote:
Ben and Steve,

I will try to update bios, thanks Ben for the good link and good FAQ.

No problem :-)

Steve, I was read article about 48 bit LBA but I think that this is
not my problem because my disk is 120GB, anyway I will install SP1 for
XP and if I understood good this will enable 48 bit LBA support by
default?

Thats what I understand.

Thanks anyway for interesting about other people problems and helps
him.

cheers,

Ben

Old November 4th 03, 05:42 PM
Steve Carter

Stanko,

You are right about the 120 MB drive. You don't need 48 bit LBA. I was
thinking it was a 160 MB. Anyway, get the diagnostic utility I linked and
run it. Sounds to me as though the drive is failing.

SBC

om...