LCD Monitors

Old November 2nd 03, 03:39 PM
Muttly

Default LCD Monitors

Hey all.
I'm considering buying a lcd monitor. I've mostly had lg monitors and I've
never had a problem with them so I'm probably going to stay with lg. I'm
looking at 2 monitors, L1710S and L1710B, it pretty obvious they are
basically the same monitor exept the S version has dvi-i input but is
supplied with a d15 converter. My current graphics card dosen't have a dvi
output so I will have to use the converter for a while. However I am going
to be upgrading my graphics card very soon, maybe at the same time as I buy
the monitor. Most likely I'll be getting either a geforce fx 5600 or if I
can get enough moey together a 5900. Either way these cards will have a
dvi-i output. What I want to know is should I save ?80 and buy the one
without the dvi or would it be much better to buy the one with the dvi? What
are the advantages/disadvantages to dvi?
Thanks.
Martin

Old November 2nd 03, 11:46 PM
DaveW

The signal from dvi to dvi avoids a dvi-to-analog then analog-to-dvi
conversion and results in a much cleaner pure digital signal.

--
DaveW

Old November 3rd 03, 01:21 AM
Muttly

Thanks DaveW. I actually got the monitor numbers wrong. I'm going for the
18.1" versions or possibly the 19". Has anyone used these monitors? Are they
good, bad, or whatever? Their esponse time is 25ms. Is this too slow?
Martin.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:01 PM
santa

I don't game but I've read that the best choice for gaming is 16 MS or less. I have a NEC 1760 NX which has both inputs I bought it for the response time which is 16ms. It's great as far as I'm concerned, just plugged it in loaded the drivers and done like dinner. As to the DVI seems while some monitors have it there's not much action in the area.
If I were buying another LCD monitor I would go and look at them in action there is a difference just like the standard CRT. WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM has some reviews as does ZDNET.COM I believe.

claus

Old November 3rd 03, 08:59 PM
CBFalconer

santa wrote:

Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
Encoding: quoted-printable

Please do not use attachments or html in newsgroups. The better
ISP systems simply delete them, and most aware readers ignore any
that arrive. News is a text medium.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old November 3rd 03, 11:41 PM
santa

"CBFalconer" wrote in message ...
santa wrote:

Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
Encoding: quoted-printable

Please do not use attachments or html in newsgroups. The better
ISP systems simply delete them, and most aware readers ignore any
that arrive. News is a text medium.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Chucky, the stuff seems to be getting through most ISPs these days and I don't subscribe to the better ones whoever they might be. Don't you ever get tired of playing authority figure? You're one of the few even self proclaimed computer types that I've met in some 40 years in the business that takes himself seriously. If your running Unix and don't have an HTML browser why not invest in moving forward into the 21st century.

BTW I didn't know news was a text medium I thought it was one for communications but then I'm not running free ads am I?

claus

News is anything that works for ME! I like HTML because its easy to recognize what I've put down
Old November 4th 03, 02:04 AM
kony

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:41:50 -0500, "santa" wrote:

He may often be the first to say something about it, but many of us do
want this to remain a pain-text only newsgroup.

If you don't like that, you ought to go to a group that uses HTML, as
there ARE some out there. I'm not trying to be rude about it, just
stating a fact, that if you want HTLM, this isn't the place to find
much of it.

Dave
Old November 4th 03, 10:45 PM
santa

"kony" wrote in message
news On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:41:50 -0500, "santa" wrote:

He may often be the first to say something about it, but many of us do
want this to remain a pain-text only newsgroup.

If you don't like that, you ought to go to a group that uses HTML, as
there ARE some out there. I'm not trying to be rude about it, just
stating a fact, that if you want HTLM, this isn't the place to find
much of it.

Dave

Thank you for your civil request, you are the only one so far in the NGs
that didn't demand. I don't like people who demand. I'm curious as to why
almost everyone is so text-ified? There is this wonderful improvement
available and no one who wants to use it. Seems everyone (almost) is more
concerned with form than substance; so much for innovation. What's the
problem, band-width, fear of embedded code? For a group that is supposed to
be cutting edge some participants seem to be very conservative. You're
right though I can take what I know and go elsewhere.

You have a nice day.

Old November 5th 03, 01:17 AM
Muttly

A simple reason as to why most groups prefer to be text only is because it
keeps the posts small. EG. The total of your posts was 13kb, the rest of the
posts in the thread excluding this one are 10kb. Final numbers are close but
the 10kb is from 6 posts wheeras your 13kb was from just 2. Hope that helps.
BTW thanks for the info bout gaming and thanks for posting plain text.
Cheers.
Martin.

Old November 5th 03, 10:10 PM
CBFalconer

santa wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

[...]

The size of the transmissions are only one concern. Another is
simple safety. HTML can have all sorts of nasty things embedded,
including single pixel images, which expose you and your system to
things you don't want. Newsgroups are especially vulnerable since
any mewling idiot can insert an HTML message at any time, with
almost complete anonymity.

I find it peculiar that you considered my original response "a
non-civil demand", which is quoted below:

Please do not use attachments or html in newsgroups. The better
ISP systems simply delete them, and most aware readers ignore any
that arrive. News is a text medium.

A demand would omit 'Please', and all but the first sentence.

about LCD/TFT monitors Mio General 2 October 17th 03 10:48 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM
lcd monitors 123xxxxx General 2 September 20th 03 03:43 PM
How close can two monitors be? slick_shoes General 1 August 4th 03 10:17 AM
Question about LCD monitors Joseph General 2 July 10th 03 09:18 PM